adamhanlon

Wetpixel Live: Dive Gear for UW Photographers

While we are all photographers, we are also divers. In a 2 part episode of Wetpixel Live, Adam and Alex discuss some ideas about what diving gear works for them, and how they configure their gear in order to try and maximize photographic opportunities.

Wetpixel Live is a series of short talks aimed at addressing some of the problems that underwater photographer often experience and to answer questions that recur frequently here on the forums. Please subscribe to the channel to keep abreast of new episodes as they are released. 

Over on Wetpixel Live, we present part 2 of Alex Mustard and Adam Hanlon’s discussion about dive gear for underwater photographers. In it, we discuss wetsuits, pockets, drysuits, fins, gloves, and dive computers, with the emphasis boom on what works well for us when capturing images underwater.

Please subscribe to the channel to keep abreast of new episodes as they are released.

So...in this episode, we discuss mounting dive computers onto strobe arms. 

For many years, I used a Suunto DX that was perfect as it was small and light. I could wear it as a wrist watch on trips and use it as a computer too. However, my eyesight was struggling to see the display.

I switched to a Shearwater Perdix AI, which is excellent, super easy to read and very fully featured. However, it is too big to wear as a wrist watch, so was an "extra" thing to carry

I have just started using  Shearwater Teric, which has an AMOLED display and is colored. It is amazing and i can read it on my strobe arms with  no problem! It also is small enough to double as a wrist watch too...

I totally agree on the Teric!

I usually dive a rEvo and have the Teric as an off-board "oh-crap" computer if my other two on-board computers fail. When I dive open circut, I use my Teric as well. Here is a picture a friend took of me on the Sacramento wreck (70m) in Redondo Beach, CA. You can see my Teric on the left float arm in the picture below. :)

PS - I have no relationship with Shearwater and don't sell any dive equipment. I'm just a satisfied user.

sacto-teric.jpg

The computer on strobe arm trick had its origins well before dive computers became popular. Photographers have been wrapping watches and depth gauges to strobe arms or attached otherwise to cameras way earlier. Once dive computers became sufficiently compact that trick migrated to computers, I suspect with the original Aladin or Suunto, so about the mid 1980s.

Sponsors

Advertisements