dovella

Olympus OM-D- M1 vs M1 mark iii

I would like to know if anyone did upgrade from Mark i to Mark iii , and will advise this as smart move.

I use 60 macro and 12-50 lenses in near future Panasonic 7-14 lens.

Dov

The autofocus will be lots better and more pixels also helps. The battery is also bigger. But  you can find a good deal on the Mark II. I don't think the Mark III is sufficiently better than the II for the price difference.

Bill

If I recall correctly the Mark II introduces phase difference detection that helps focus with the 60mm macro
For wide angle it will be mostly about more pixels
From UW point of view the features or the mark III add nothing to the mark II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Em1mk1 was the first MFT with Phase Detection AF. Since then Olympus probably have added better AF algorithms, but the underlying tech has stayed the same. One of the reasons at the time was, that this allowed the use of the older Four Thirds system lenses with workable AF (Lenses like the 150mm f2 and 300mm f2.8, so not important for UW use). 

I agree with @bvanant that the mkII presents better value for money. The only big feature on the new camera is Hand Held High resolution in my opinion.

The Em1mk1 was the first MFT with Phase Detection AF. Since then Olympus probably have added better AF algorithms, but the underlying tech has stayed the same. One of the reasons at the time was, that this allowed the use of the older Four Thirds system lenses with workable AF (Lenses like the 150mm f2 and 300mm f2.8, so not important for UW use). 
I agree with [mention=141]bvanant[/mention] that the mkII presents better value for money. The only big feature on the new camera is Hand Held High resolution in my opinion.

There were some marginal other improvements
In terms of AF there are none with the firmware 3.1 and now 3.2
They say the EM1X will have animal detection but that feature is only good for slow moving items
Regardless all those AF features are of limited use underwater where things move fairly slow in comparison to birds doing 0 to 50 kmh in one meter
The most important improvement is the megapixel and increased performance of the sensor that in some cases can be seen
Some specific sluggish lenses like the olympus 60mm benefit from AF tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements