Sign in to follow this  
Leehank

100 mm mini domes

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked to death. So I have a 100 mm mini dome earmarked for my next purchase to pair with my new tokina 10-17 ( on a  sony a6500 and a sigma mc-11 converter) and I thought I would just ask about people's experiences etc. I know they are super popular (they seem to be filling up the classifieds at times) and I am pretty excited to get some CFWA under my belt. So just any tips and tricks, shortcomings etc they may help me to learn how to get some good technique going early etc.

I cant find many solid reviews with photos showing a direct comparison of the 100 mm ports image clarity, especially in the corners against some of the larger ports. Some of the earlier reviews have the photos dropped out for instance. I guess just want to see if I will miss out on much, apart from split shots being quite difficult.

Cheers in advance.

I use the mini dome and Tokina as well as an 8" dome. When I"m at home, shooting wrecks, there's no advantage whatsoever. Diving in BC and in warmer waters, it's this allows for some unusual perspectives as well.

I've not tried any "actual" CFWA with the converter, but would like to. I'm on the cusp of a camera upgrade, so I'l hold off doing anything there until I have settled on that.

But I wouldn't hesitate at all in buying one if you're shooting smaller stuff. It's obviously not a macro lens but it fills that "in between" hole.

• Like 1

Hey Leehank

I've used the Tokina 10-17 over a number of years both with the 100 dome and an 8" one. I'm not sure I could ever really tell the difference including when adding a x1.4TC.  After some time of using both with a D300 (so a DX sensor) I ended up not even taking the 8" dome if I was travelling and only using the 100. Size for traveling is a clear advantage as is the ability to CFWA.

With a D800 (FX sensor) I never used the 100 dome - switching to a 230 dome.

But I'm now back to a DX sensor (D500) and back to the 100 dome and an 8" with either the Tokina 10-17 or the Nikkor 8-15. I'm using both at times with a 1.4TC (worth noting they need different versions of the Kenko to work!).  No real difference between the 100 and the 8" with the Tokina. I'm not sure yet about the Nikkor 8-15 as I've just not had time to use it enough but no obvious problems. So far!

Thanks for that write up!
That ability to get away with a small dome for versatility of shooting style with a fisheye as well as ease of travel is exactly what I'm after. Appreciate the help.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements