Sign in to follow this  
Crittermad27

Setting up an Olympus OMD EM10iii

Hi 

I'm trying to set up my EM10 Mkiii for use in my nauticam housing. This is all brand new to me so I expect I am missing something obvious! 

I'm wanting to set up back button focus, and reading around suggests I should do it to the rec button but cannot work out how to do that. I think that is the one operated by the lever on the housing. 

I found an article on uwphotographyguide saying how to do it - to go into the custom menu and then buttons and choose Rec, to change - However I only have options to change the function of Fn1 and Fn2 there and not Rec. 

Ive read the manual from start to finish and cant find any reference to it.  

Any advice? Suggestions??   thanks in advance 

The back button lever on the Nauticam housing depresses the AEL/AFL button. If you google how to set up BBF on an OMD EM10iii you'll probably get results for the Mii, but it should be the same. Watch a couple of the videos.

Bob

Posted (edited)

BBF with my Nauticam housing is awesome. I have an E-M1 mk II so can’t tell you if the menus are the same, but it should be easy.  You set autofocus to mode 1, 2, or 3, whichever de-links it from the shutter button, then go to button settings and map autofocus to your preferred button.  As Bob says, there are many articles and videos to be found.

This older thread for the E-M5 is very useful for Olympus settings in general:

https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48625-underwater-settings-for-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5/&tab=comments#comment-321395

Edited by troporobo
  • Like 1

I looked at both the EM-10 III manual and the Nauticam housing manual.

On the housing the lever presses the record button and Fn1 goes to the button on the corner of the camera which is the default AEL/AFL button on the EM-10 III.

The manual for the EM-10 III is not that helpful but it appears only the Fn 1 and Fn 2 buttons are assignable - on my EM-1 II all of this is in the B menu - when you bring up the B menu there will be a list of buttons you are able to assign new functions to.  When you press scroll right you get a little box with all of the options available for that button to scroll through.  The manual does not show what the full menu options are, but a bit of digging seems to show that when you go into the B menu only two buttons are listed to customise - the EM10-II shows 5 or 6 including the record button.  So if the record button does not appear in this list it can't be customised.

So unfortunately it looks like Olympus dumbed down the EM-10III customizable options in the menu system compared to the EM-10II and you have to use the Fn1 button to back button AF.  It has been separated out on the housing and is next to the thumb grip provided on the housing.

On 8/23/2020 at 3:46 AM, ChrisRoss said:

I looked at both the EM-10 III manual and the Nauticam housing manual.

On the housing the lever presses the record button and Fn1 goes to the button on the corner of the camera which is the default AEL/AFL button on the EM-10 III.

The manual for the EM-10 III is not that helpful but it appears only the Fn 1 and Fn 2 buttons are assignable - on my EM-1 II all of this is in the B menu - when you bring up the B menu there will be a list of buttons you are able to assign new functions to.  When you press scroll right you get a little box with all of the options available for that button to scroll through.  The manual does not show what the full menu options are, but a bit of digging seems to show that when you go into the B menu only two buttons are listed to customise - the EM10-II shows 5 or 6 including the record button.  So if the record button does not appear in this list it can't be customised.

So unfortunately it looks like Olympus dumbed down the EM-10III customizable options in the menu system compared to the EM-10II and you have to use the Fn1 button to back button AF.  It has been separated out on the housing and is next to the thumb grip provided on the housing.

Thanks -  that's what I concluded, which is a pity as I can reach the lever whilst still holding the handle, but need to let go of the shutter trigger to reach the Fn1 button on the housing - I'll have to stretch my hands a bit!   thanks for going to all the effort of looking in the manuals for me! 

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements