scubadoguk

Editing work flow for Go Pro Cameras - on Iphone

Hi all

Having done stills for many years I've been developing a rig for Go Pro Hero 7 Black over the last year, consists of a Backscatter Tray, Gorillapod tripod, Backscatter Flip Macromate 15 lens for close ups, for my lighting I have a one inch ball system and have two 6 inch ultralight arms with StiX Foam for buoyancy and Black Star BS30 (3000 Lumen) LED dive light - plan to get a second light.

I've been using the Go Pro Apps (Go Pro and Quik ) on the Iphone XS - which allows me to select highlights and use the auto-tools to generate short clips for social media - they are great for quick editing and although I would like a bit more control over transitions between clips, easily adding text to clips to highlight species, is there any video software that will Import the Go Pro files on a Iphone that will give me more control?

Also I shoot in Green Water and the Auto white balance sets the background to blue which is pleasing but not correct, can this be fixed on the camera or by post editing easily? - should I be capturing video in a RAW Format similar to that on stills cameras?

Also good ways of storing footage of animal

Any advice gratefully received?

I've attached a couple of links to recent projects edited on my iphone - I film in 1080p

Can't help out with the iphone workflow (I was using imovie, then final cut pro x) but for white balance and some post-editing flexibility I would definitely go for a flat profile on the GP7 : just turn on pro tune, set colours to "flat", white balance to "native" - other setting I was using was sharpness to low or medium, max iso to 800, min 100, and ev compensation to -0.5 to -1 if shooting up, especially in the shallows.
Shutter can be left on auto, though in theory you should go for the 180 degree rule (double the frame rate), didn't work out great underwater on gopros.

Results will be dull out of the box but you'll have a little more to work with in post, especially in terms of white balance.

Edited by bghazzal

Sponsors

Advertisements