tobyone

3d printed gears and port protecters

recently got into 3d printing and cad design. I printed some dome port protectors and gears out of flexible nylon. Also printed some rings to cover the lens info that can reflect off a port.

Dome-and-rear-caps-covers.jpg

Zoom-rings.jpg

• Like 2

I print all my zoom gears. Much better than the insane prices of OEM gears. Exceptions are special gears like the one for the Olympus 12-50 which is a marvel of engineering (and even more expensive).

I also am doing the same for my seafrogs housing. I'm on iteration 6 for my tokina, and adding some orings and set screws to secure it to the lens.

1 hour ago, Lewis88 said:

I also am doing the same for my seafrogs housing. I'm on iteration 6 for my tokina, and adding some orings and set screws to secure it to the lens.

Use nylon set screws to prevent damage.

I am using low profile tie wraps to secure he gears. The gears are designed to have a gap in the barrel and gear section. I had an issue on the SeaFrog housing that the gear on the zoom knob would spring in but the shaft stayed in place.My first version would hit the shaft, so I  put a notch in the bottom of the gear to accommodate clearance. What material are you using? I also have in the works a 3d printed housing for the Osmo Pocket.

Osmo-Housing.jpg

2 hours ago, PhotoJunkie said:

Use nylon set screws to prevent damage.

Yep, I get plastic tipped ones. The orings actually do most of the gripping, the set screws are just snugged.

@tobyone I'm using Sunlu PLA+. I like that it prints very well for me, and is less brittle than regular PLA.

Edited by Lewis88

It will.be great if you would share some of these prints

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Each gear print is for a particular housing and lens combination. The dome protectors are for the 6 and 8 inch domes on Seafrog housings. If you have those ports I will post  the stl files.

Sponsors

Advertisements