Sign in to follow this  
adamhanlon

Wetpixel Live: Vacuum Housing Systems

Wetpixel Editor @adamhanlon and regular contributor @Alex_Mustard discuss the pros and cons of vacuum housing leak detection systems, along with some ideas about how to use and maintain them in the field.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to applying more vacuum after your indictor light shows you have negative pressure in your housing?

Elmer

18 hours ago, eyu said:

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to applying more vacuum after your indictor light shows you have negative pressure in your housing?

Elmer

I generally give 1-2 more pumps - what you don't want to do it try to only just get a green light - there are some reports of people doing this to "improve sensitivity " to a leak but running into issues with false alarms perhaps because the temperature compensation system can't compensate perfectly.   You also probably don't want to keep on pumping too much as it could take longer to register a leak.

My feeling is the best approach is ensure you leave the housing long enough to pick up  a loss of vacuum - at least 20 minutes preferably a little longer.   I normally pump mine down the night before or at least in the morning before I head out so it has plenty of time to sit.

I have done quite a bit of testing by introducing deliberate leak; cat hairs, sand grains, lint, misplaced O rings etc.

They all trigger alarms within 3-4 minutes, with most being much quicker.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements