Interceptor121

Farewell Olympus Welcome OMD

Details of the signed deal here
Key points:
  1. Olympus brand remains with medical devices
  2. There are no details of the restructuring measures up to 31/12 (as expected)
  3. No details of how the structure of the subsidiaries to operate in markets outside Japan nor any transition agreements

So farewell Olympus Cameras post 2020 there are quite a few deals likely for the purpose of clearing inventory of Olympus branded items

Sure is. I go right back to OM1 and OM2 days and those neat Zuiko lenses. Fabulous stuff.

I agree it is very sad, but I don’t think it is the end.  OM-D may well pull out of a lot of markets but may hang on in Japan. That was JIP’s model for Sony Vaio. Remember they are about to release a flagship (and expensive) 150-400 f4 Telephoto with built in teleconverter.  The R&D is a sunk cost but why incur new variable costs for marketing and distribution?  And if this move was just for the purpose of liquidation then why form a new company? Although Japanese business law may confer advantages for the new company for downsizing, redundancies, and tax. 

I’m fully invested in bodies, lenses, and housing.  The format gives me advantages for macro and telephoto and the trade offs are acceptable for what I do.  None of it stopped working with this announcement so I’ll keep using all my gear for a long time to come. If there are great deals coming then bring them on! 

• Like 1

There is a q&a on the US website that gives some more info but is inconclusive on the long term implication
There is all sort of speculation some olympus ambassadors (who dont work for Olympus but are associated) have gone as far to say nothing will change
On the other hand something has to change in a loss making business
The parts that are sure are
no changes to 2020 product launches(but there is none left)
They don't know the future product development which means some products now planned they are review and cancelled
The nature of the deal is that nothing changes until day-1, then some things happen and transition arrangements are put in place and some time later and could be years a status quo is reached
Link to US q,&a

https://getolympus.com/jip#g1b

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I can’t read the Q&A, it must be geofenced. As recently as July, after the JIP announcement, Takeuchi said the 150-400 f4 telephoto would be released “ this winter” meaning within about the next 6 months from now.  I hope they get there, as that is the last lens I want for this system. 

I can’t read the Q&A, it must be geofenced. As recently as July, after the JIP announcement, Takeuchi said the 150-400 f4 telephoto would be released “ this winter” meaning within about the next 6 months from now.  I hope they get there, as that is the last lens I want for this system. 

Whatever happens before they sell in 2020 is confirmed
Currently that lens is scheduled for winter 2020 so you need to hope it comes out before the end of the year otherwise there are no guarantees
The roadmap after 2020 is not confirmed so the 8-25mm lens may not see the light
During the closing phases of a transaction things go in turmoil although the press releases may try to say is business as usual it is not entirely true
I for one wonder why a micro four third lens should cost more than £1,499 which is the typical cost new of a camera. I cannot see a market for products as expensive considering MFT is predominantly a semipro and amateur market segment
So keep your finger crossed this makes it to the finishing line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might need to temper my optimism:

“The production of high quality lenses in Nagano will stop and be outsourced“

https://www.43rumors.com/more-info-about-jip-plans-lens-production-factory-in-nagano-will-stop/

If m.Zuiko Pro designs are licensed to Sigma or equivalent for production, then fine.  Not so much if they go to a lower tier manufacturer. 

I might need to temper my optimism:

“The production of high quality lenses in Nagano will stop and be outsourced“

https://www.43rumors.com/more-info-about-jip-plans-lens-production-factory-in-nagano-will-stop/
If m.Zuiko Pro designs are licensed to Sigma or equivalent for production, then fine.  Not so much if they go to a lower tier manufacturer. 

The translation is incorrect
What’s happening
Olympus retains the Nagano factory that makes the zuiko pro lenses and the optical elements that are then assembled in Vietnam, this either because the factory makes lenses for microscopes or because JIP don’t want it
So day 1 they can’t make lenses and they buy them from Olympus until they work out how to make lenses themselves
I think this is fine as long as they have the R&D to design new lenses
I would not however be too hopeful that the roadmap Olympus published will be executed as planned and some models may even drop if they don’t have a business case
You need to hope this lens is released this year but I guess it will be almost a make to order item

On 9/30/2020 at 10:05 AM, TimG said:

Sure is. I go right back to OM1 and OM2 days and those neat Zuiko lenses. Fabulous stuff.

I still have my OM1 and my OM4T and Zuiko lenses which were fabulous. Still my favorite film based cameras. Especially the OM1. If you had an inkling about what you were doing it would take photos no matter what failed since the only "electronic" feature on it was an average light meter. I did need to replace the foam inside the body though because it degraded and became sticky.

40 minutes ago, tgait said:

I still have my OM1 and my OM4T and Zuiko lenses which were fabulous. Still my favorite film based cameras. Especially the OM1. If you had an inkling about what you were doing it would take photos no matter what failed since the only "electronic" feature on it was an average light meter. I did need to replace the foam inside the body though because it degraded and became sticky.

Brilliant!

The new 150-400 PRO has been registred in russia according to rumor websites. It's quite likely to still release this year. I can't imagine it being anywhere close to the 1500€ Interceptor mentioned. Similar lenses (with built in TC) from Nikon cost 10000€. If it is half, it will be cheap. I also wonder who might buy this. I think it was planned as a "halo" product that now lacks the camera line to make sense (at least until JIP releases their first camera to bring trust back into the brand). 

At constant f4.5 up to 800mm equivalent nothing like it really exists, even if you account for equivalent apertures. I know it will be way too expensive for me to afford though. If I'm lucky enough, maybe one day I can rent one.

If that lens comes in at a mid 4 figure price, I’ll buy it for wildlife. Imagine the equivalent of 300-1000mm handheld with the sync IS of the top Olympus bodies, and up to 2000mm with their teleconverters.  I was theoretically sceptical that this made any sense until I saw Robin Wong’s videos on YT doing that with the current 100-400 zoom, which the halo lens should eclipse.  He shows some amazing IQ at extreme ranges.  

Feel free to call me a fan boy, and chime in about m4/3 noise and dynamic range and useable ISO and zooms versus primes. All factored in. I’m a hobbyist not a pro, and I’ll be out hiking longer and higher than I could with a D6 and a scuba tank sized telephoto!

• Like 1

The new 150-400 PRO has been registred in russia according to rumor websites. It's quite likely to still release this year. I can't imagine it being anywhere close to the 1500€ Interceptor mentioned. Similar lenses (with built in TC) from Nikon cost 10000€. If it is half, it will be cheap. I also wonder who might buy this. I think it was planned as a "halo" product that now lacks the camera line to make sense (at least until JIP releases their first camera to bring trust back into the brand). 
At constant f4.5 up to 800mm equivalent nothing like it really exists, even if you account for equivalent apertures. I know it will be way too expensive for me to afford though. If I'm lucky enough, maybe one day I can rent one.

F4.5 is not a fast lens
Assuming a shutter speed of 1/100 and ISO of 3200 you have an Ev 5.66 or 158 Lux Outside today at 1330 on cloudy winter day I measured 250 lux
When I get up to make sunrise deer shots I am at ISO 4000 with a 2.8 lens
So am really not sure f4.5 will cut it
It would have been more useful to drop this obsession for fixed fnumber to provide a lens that was 2.8 at the wide end.
I think Olympus really runs short of ideas on lenses always fixed aperture or the fastest prime means lots of bulk and in some cases no tangible benefit for the extra cost
When you look at the real world benefit the whole paradigm collapses

Canon is currently the most successful camera company in the world.  Why would they have recently brought out two long telephoto lenses, at 600mm and 800mm, with fixed apertures at f11, for under $1000?  My guess is size and weight and price for hobbyists who find that combination works for them.  If it doesn’t then they have other options at higher prices. Just because a lens doesn’t work for some photographers in some situations doesn’t mean entire “paradigms” collapse.  

Canon is currently the most successful camera company in the world.  Why would they have recently brought out two long telephoto lenses, at 600mm and 800mm, with fixed apertures at f11, for under $1000?  My guess is size and weight and price for hobbyists who find that combination works for them.  If it doesn’t then they have other options at higher prices. Just because a lens doesn’t work for some photographers in some situations doesn’t mean entire “paradigms” collapse.  

Those are £795 lenses this Olympus is going to be £5000. And the delta is
F4.5 to f/5.6 so 2/3 ev for £4000
Canon is effectively putting products down that are innovative for their mirrorless camera RF line
So it is even more silly to come out with this fixed fnumber lens at astronomical prices isn’t it?
Canon gets portable and cost effective products while Olympus goes for £5000 lens on a £1500 body? Looks like canon understands strategy and their financial results meant they had to revise up the forecast this year while Olympus is going out of business
Canon like Sony or Panasonic is a consumer centric company not a company with a scientific background that has consumer as an after thought which seems to be the story of Olympus
Anyway Olympus approach dies this 31/12 so there is no need to dig deeper. They had a few really interesting innovations that they could not capitalise on hopefully someone will take this forward

I shouldn’t bother, but the selective logic has to be pointed out. Don’t compare a flagship lens to a budget lens.  

Canon and Olympus both make expensive halo lenses.  They also both make budget lenses.  So compare like to like.  If you want 600mm from Canon you can pay $1000, $6000, or $12000.  The same capability (and more) from Olympus is priced from $400 to $1500 to $2500, and soon perhaps $5000.  Both systems can mount those lenses on a sub $1000 body or a flagship $6000 body.  There is no inconsistency in technical approach, though there is clearly difference in business acumen.  

You can have the last word on this topic.  I’m done.  

• Like 1

I am not sure that you should think of Canon as a consumer company. Business sales (big copiers and service) are about 45% of their business, medical and industry are another 32%, Imaging is 21% of the business. That being said, they are still better at selling cameras than Olympus, sad to say. Still waiting to see if any one else gets into micro 4/3. Perhaps it is time to think about moving to Panasonic.

Bill

I am not sure that you should think of Canon as a consumer company. Business sales (big copiers and service) are about 45% of their business, medical and industry are another 32%, Imaging is 21% of the business. That being said, they are still better at selling cameras than Olympus, sad to say. Still waiting to see if any one else gets into micro 4/3. Perhaps it is time to think about moving to Panasonic.

Bill

Canon in they printers and in imaging can listen respond and anticipate consumer needs

We are having here a discussion about MFT and wildlife

Wait a minute who made the 100-400 zoom lens for MFT? Panasonic a company not even making lenses

Olympus response after panasonic had dominated the market was to come up with a sigma lens adapted a few years too late and after release suspend sales as the forecast was too low and are backdated on preorders

This is very sad

Olympus made some announcements an hour or so ago.  The one I've been eagerly awaiting is for the 150-400mm Pro lens, and I said above "If that lens comes in at a mid 4 figure price, I’ll buy it".  Well, the launch price is $7500.  Ouch.  I had convinced myself that around $5000 was possible. I guess I will rent one for a week to put through its paces but it would have to be spectacularly good for me to justify a purchase. 

The announcement of a new 8-25mm f4 Pro lens is maybe interesting for some UW photographers who lean toward wider angles as a higher quality replacement for the 12-50mm lens, but I will stick with the 7-14mm f2.8 Pro lens for WA. 

Hi tropo,

I also was waiting for this announcement, but 7500$ is definitely too much. The 300mm 4.0 Pro seems like a bargain, in comparison. I will wait a while (I expect the price to trop soon), but probably I will go for the 300mm Pro now, which is an excellent lens. It is hard to imagine that the new superexpensive zoom lens can perform better...

Wolfgang

I have used the Olympus 300mm f/4 and the Panasonic 200mm f/2.8 primes

I had the Olympus on loan for a week and concluded it is a fine lens but 300mm f/4 as start is too long unless you are shooting small birds all the time. So I now have a Panasonic 200mm f/2.8 it comes with a 1.4 TC that appears to have a very very marginal loss. So I have a 200mm/2.8 lens that is fast and if I need reach a 280mm f/4 that performs as well as the Olympus 300 f/4

I wrote a review on dpreview https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4531092 

Clearly if small birds are all you shoot it makes sense to start at 300mm if you get a good price however I would not recommend to take a 2x TC and run the lens at f/8 for 600mm

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:

I have used the Olympus 300mm f/4 and the Panasonic 200mm f/2.8 primes

I had the Olympus on loan for a week and concluded it is a fine lens but 300mm f/4 as start is too long unless you are shooting small birds all the time. So I now have a Panasonic 200mm f/2.8 it comes with a 1.4 TC that appears to have a very very marginal loss. So I have a 200mm/2.8 lens that is fast and if I need reach a 280mm f/4 that performs as well as the Olympus 300 f/4

I wrote a review on dpreview https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4531092 

Clearly if small birds are all you shoot it makes sense to start at 300mm if you get a good price however I would not recommend to take a 2x TC and run the lens at f/8 for 600mm

Thank you for the comment (I have read your interesting review in DPReview). The Pana 200mm is an interesting lens, but too close to the 40-150mm Zuiko Pro with 1.4x TC (that I already have; it is rather heavy, but brilliant), the 300mm will cover a better range...

I wanted to point out that at 7500$ for the 150-400mm, I am out. I cannot imagine that there will be many buyers except "influencers", "ambassadors" etc., that get supported by olympus for spreading enthusiastic reviews. This lens will not help to keep OMD alive...

(Up to now I am not shooting birds with tele, but for years now we have a couple of falcons that nest on a big Austrian pine in our garden. It starts with the fighting who will settle down and breed this season and ends with few days, when the cute little ones make their first attempts to fly. I have to go for a good tele to make pictures next spring.... :))

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

58 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

Thank you for the comment (I have read your interesting review in DPReview). The Pana 200mm is an interesting lens, but too close to the 40-150mm Zuiko Pro with 1.4x TC (that I already have; it is rather heavy, but brilliant), the 300mm will cover a better range...

I wanted to point out that at 7500$ for the 150-400mm, I am out. I cannot imagine that there will be many buyers except "influencers", "ambassadors" etc., that get supported by olympus for spreading enthusiastic reviews. This lens will not help to keep OMD alive...

(Up to now I am not shooting birds with tele, but for years now we have a couple of falcons that nest on a big Austrian pine in our garden. It starts with the fighting who will settle down and breed this season and ends with few days, when the cute little ones make their first attempts to fly. I have to go for a good tele to make pictures next spring.... :))

Wolfgang

I think this lens was designed as a 'statement' it will not do anything to improve the situation for MFT as a segment I believe

7 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

I also was waiting for this announcement, but 7500$ is definitely too much.

Apparently they took the expected price a multiplied it by a crop factor of 2. :rofl:

Jokes aside - I suspect that the price might drop by $1000 or so in a year or two when they have fulfilled the “I must have it at any price” market and then need to sell some more. It looks a beast, though. 

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements