JayceeB

4/3 Focal length with 14-42 + WWL

Folks,

I'm wondering what the equivalent focal length range would be with a Lumix G Vario 14-42 II + Nauticam WWL-1. 

What wide angle lens focal length would 14mm reduce to?  

What telephoto lens focal length would 42 reduce to?.

Also, from the forums, it sounds like the Lumix G Vario 14-42 II is the best IQ of the Olympus and Panasonic choices (I'm shooting with the Oly E-M1 II).  Do I have that correct?  I already have an Olympus 14-42 IIR that came as a kit lens, and am wondering if an upgrade to the Panasonic 14-42 is worthwhile if moving to a 14-42 + WWL-1 option.

Thanks for any responses you may have,

-Jaycee

The WWL-1 gives a 130° diagonal field of view (equivalent to 10mm lens)  from a 28mm equivalent focal length lens so that is 10/28 = 0.36x.  So that makes the 14-42 into a 5-15mm equivalent lens.   The WWL-1 introduces barrel distortion - sort of semi fisheye so while it gives you 130° on the diagonal,  the horizontal field of view is more like 104° rather than the 121° you would expect on a 10mm rectilinear lens so that would be more like a 7-21mm lens for the horizontal field of view.     

Fisheye lenses are similar - while they get a 180° diagonal field of view their horizontal field of view is only about 135°

14 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

The WWL-1 gives a 130° diagonal field of view (equivalent to 10mm lens)  from a 28mm equivalent focal length lens so that is 10/28 = 0.36x.  So that makes the 14-42 into a 5-15mm equivalent lens.   The WWL-1 introduces barrel distortion - sort of semi fisheye so while it gives you 130° on the diagonal,  the horizontal field of view is more like 104° rather than the 121° you would expect on a 10mm rectilinear lens so that would be more like a 7-21mm lens for the horizontal field of view.     

Fisheye lenses are similar - while they get a 180° diagonal field of view their horizontal field of view is only about 135°

Thanks for the quick response, Mr. Ross.  That's exactly what I needed on focal length.  BTW Your posts have helped me immensely in my 4/3 journey :) 

• Like 1

Regarding the difference between the Panasonic and Olympus lenses I don't think you will see much if any IQ differences behind the WWL-1. I am all for investing in the best glass you can afford but WWL-1 is going to out preform V. wide lenses behind a dome port with  all M43 lenses.  

For significant increase in IQ with WWL-1 you would need to move to Sony full frame with the Sony FE 28mm F/2, not a zoom but the best in IQ. 

• Thanks 1

Sponsors

Advertisements