Can someone how has used both types of wet diopter deployment give some feed back, Pros/Cons.

I currently use an Oly EM5 with the 60mm Macro lens, and an CMC1

Brant

I've used flip and just screwing the lens on. Can't imagine bayonet being significantly better than normal screwing. Flip adapters are really nice for macro lenses (sadly incompatible with most wide lenses). I don't know of any disadvantage apart from the price, which in the grand scheme of underwater photography is not that high.

I don't use flip adaptors and the reason is that I find they interfere with my lighting. I am typically moving my strobes around a lot, and the flips always seem to be where I want the strobes to be!

The alternative is to mount them so that they flip down...but I am also often trying to get my housing as close to the bottom as possible, and they get in the way of this.

I have pockets on my dry and wetsuits,  and when not in use, wet lenses etc. live in them (in neoprene bags for protection).

The only exception is with long dives in very cold water. I typically use dry gloves, and can normally screw and unscrew wet lenses with these on, but if my hands get very cold due to long dives, this can get challenging. 

Great question!

I bought a set of M67 'magnetic mounts' that I use as an alternative to the flip adapter. Very strong magnets in an AL housing. Screw one on the port, one on the lens so that you can quickly add the lens (i.e. macro) or remove it. I simply tethered the lens for my tests but a neoprene case would work as well. They came from ali-express and weren't all that cheap, but they do what I want.

Watch out for magnetic sand.

I'm also wary of strong magnets close to electronics and especially memory cards...

Adam

Thanks for the replies.  I was wary of the flip getting in the way also, thanks Adam for confirmation.

Has anyone used the bayonet mounts?

I use a flip, positioned so the diopter goes up to about the 1:00 o’clock position.  That never seem to get in the way of either a strobe or focus light.  Works for me. 

I also use a flip, positioned between 11 et 1 o'clock. The diopter rests on top of the macro port when in use, which is typically out of the way enough to position strobes. 

4 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

I'm also wary of strong magnets close to electronics and especially memory cards...

Adam

That's a myth about magnets, probably left over from the days of floppy disks.  Modern flash memory devices are not effected by any magnet or magnetic field you are likely to encounter outside of a physics lab.  Below is a snip from an article and source I found on the topic.

Busting the Biggest PC Myths | PCWorld

Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

I have used both flip adapters and bayonet mounts.  My WWL-1 was on a bayonet mount, so my macro diopter also had to be on a bayonet mount. Previously, on my old system, I had the macro diopter on a flip mount.  As soon as I sold the WWL-1, I bought a dual flip mount for my (now) two macro diopters.  While the bayonet mount does work well, I was constantly worried about dropping one or the other of these expensive lenses while changing them.  The flip mount eliminates that worry.  You do need to be careful about positioning so that it doesn't interfere with your lights, or setting up your photo but it does give me peace of mind and one less thing to worry about while task loading with everything else connected to underwater videography.  Just my opinion.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:29 PM, adamhanlon said:

Hear hear. I have 2.5 sets of these magnetic rings, and after my last trip to the Philippines (Dauin coast on Negros) I had a devil of a time getting that fine black sand off the magnets. Otherwise they work great.

I've used flip mounts, the AOI bayonet system, and regular screwing.  I second the flip getting in the way---I'm usually pulling strobes in close for macro right where they would go.

As for the bayonet system, I enjoy it for the speed of switching.  I mounted two bayonet receivers on my focus light arm off the cold-shoe mount that allowed me to swap wet wide-angle with diopter.  No problems except that switching lenses usually makes the housing's trim change.

Where the bayonet really won for me is entering the water and quickly flushing bubbles out between lens and face.  I lost too many shots needing to unscrew, wave away bubbles, and rescrew.  And one time lost a lens---I started to cheat by only lighting screwing the wet lens before entering, as I'd need to take it off anyway.  Til I screwed a little... too lightly.

• Like 1

I have pockets on my dry and wetsuits,  and when not in use, wet lenses etc. live in them (in neoprene bags for protection).

Do you have a link to these neoprene bags?  I have been looking for something similar for my UCL

I use the ones that came with the Nauticam wet lenses.

Seacam supply them with many of their products too..

I'm sure they will be available for sale from both these suppliers (and probably many other).

Adam

Following on from a current thread on the Wetpixel forum, @Alex_Mustard and @adamhanlon discuss their personal preferences with regard to using flip adaptors for ancillary wet lenses.  Although popular and convenient, these brackets do have some drawbacks.

Thanks to Adam and Alex for your insight.

Do either of you have any experience good or bad using bayonet mounts for diopters?

Sponsors

Advertisements