C_R_111

Sony a7sIII worth it? - Housings Question

On 4/20/2021 at 9:17 PM, Whipauee said:

A bit of news, I just picked up a Sony a1 and all the buttons work in the controls work a7s3 Nauticam Housing. Except for the controls on the left top for Still frame rate and focus, Continuous, Single and DMF and Manual.I got the a1 for surface work not UW but just tried it for fun and was soo surprised. The same experiment with the a7r4 was not as successful in the Nauticam housing.     

I was on the way to test the a7s3 with 16-35mm in a 180 dome (Nauticam) for balance and buoyancy in this configuration. Bad weather prevented a real field test. But this configuration balances better than the WWL-1 with a flat port and 35mm prime in fresh water IMHO.

I'm back in salt water in 2 weeks, was hoping to narrow down my flying travel field kit but maybe I'll take everything! UGH!

Hi Whipauee, 

On your test of the nauticam 180mm dome with the 16-35mm, what length of extension port did you use, and how did you like the balance and buoyancy of the setup ?  Did you use the recommended length in the chart ?  Thanks ! 

Edited by Wira Wijoga

On 5/11/2021 at 6:00 AM, Whipauee said:

Back from diving a week around Roatan. Have not imported or analyzed footage yet. but the a1 seemed to consistently display the overheat icon in the a7s3 housing while shooting clips underwater. The a1 never did shut down.

This is where an aluminum housing may have some benefit as the housing would act as a big heat sink to transfer the heat away. Probably doubly effective in cold waters.

Sponsors

Advertisements