Sign in to follow this  
mptuzio

Clownfish in Thailand (novice)

Hey everyone! Open to critiques here. As I mentioned in my welcome post, here is my most recent photo from a trip to Thailand. Although I’ve had the housing for 2 years I don’t get to use it as much as I would like ( I live in Pennsylvania so not much chance outside of trips) but I was pretty happy how this photo turned out as a novice. Thoughts? 

Nikon D750 with a 105 macro.

EA732A66-1C01-4D8D-8918-8008F46302D7.jpeg

Hi mptuzio

Nice pic. I like the way the anemone fish in the bottom corner compliments the main character - and the composition is nice. Lots of neutral space which I always thinks works well for macro. Nice angle too - shooting upwards.

Couple of thoughts. It's hard to tell from an uploaded, lowish dpi image, but are the eyes of the top fish in focus? They look slightly slightly out of focus on this image. Maybe a bit of Sharpening?

As I say, I like the composition. I'm not sure if this is the full frame or cropped, but if you could get one of the eyes of the top fish into the dissecting rule-of-thirds line in the top left corner, I think that would increase the dramatic impact. As it is, for me, he's slightly high and to the left in the image.

And, if you have LR or something similar, I'd try increasing the Clarity, DeHaze and Vibrance slightly. I think you could get more punch out of the image.

Nice though. :good:

completely agree with Tim regarding the editing. I am more of a fan of the main subject being in the lower corners and leaving the negative space above the subject rather than the other way around.  I do love the eye contact.  A tip regarding shooting this kind of anemone, if you shoot from farther away they pick up a nice yellow/green iridescence. 

39819990845_67650b7339.jpgfiji-17 by Karyll Gonzalez, on Flickr

Sorry for slow response...

I would try - within the limits of your file type - to do the following: I use Lightroom, so use the labels for those controls.

0. If RAW, make any changes to white balance first.  Same if dialing in something like 'Camera Standard' instead of any default that may be there.

1. Raise exposure at least 0.5 stop

2.  Raise the shadows a bit more.   (Keep an eye on the histogram.  Leaving a lot of unused area on either end is a sin.)

3. If you are working with a RAW file, you may well want/need to pull down the highlights if they get out of control with any of these adjustments.

4. Increase contrast a bit, not too much.  This will stretch the histogram, so if highlights were on the edge, this just pushed them over it.  You may need to pull the highlights down more.

5. A trick to increase apparent clarity is to pull the black slider down to the left to darken the exposure shadows.  Be very careful here - a little goes a long way and can result in the need to boost shadows a bit to avoid blocking up the dark areas.  But it can make a light haze from low contrast almost vanish.

6. Increase saturation to taste.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements