Jump to content

Recommended Posts

@froop I am very much looking forward to your report! I am in love with my X-T1 and would love to bring it underwater with me but lament the lack of wide angle options, and the loss of the use of the aperture ring. I am currently teetering precariously on the edge of picking up an E-M5 Mk1 to use the M43 fisheye lenses.

@tobyone Those are quite nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, climb-ski-dive said:

@froop I am very much looking forward to your report! I am in love with my X-T1 and would love to bring it underwater with me but lament the lack of wide angle options, and the loss of the use of the aperture ring.

I'm looking forward to it too! The housing arrived, but I'm still waiting on the ports. I may get the 80mm macro port before the weekend, but the weather doesn't look great so not sure I'll be able to get it wet.

I have had a play with the camera in the housing though, and initial thoughts are that it at least meets  if not exceeds expectations! I've never used a Nauticam housing before, but I assume the design and build quality is common with the rest of their line up.

The only controls that aren't relayed onto the camera are the Fn2 and the focus joystick directions (the focus joystick press button is) the front command dial press isn't either, but TBH I never use it, and I'm not even sure if it is or can be assigned a function.

It even transfers the ISO and Shutter speed lock buttons and the EVF/LCD mode button.

Losing the aperture ring is not an issue. Realistically if the aperture dial was transferred, it works take the form of a rotation dial similar to the Zoom/focus ring. So assigning the front command dial to aperture control has the same effect.

I usually use M focus with AF=L for back button focus, and the NA-XT3 is perfect for this - auto focus with right thumb lever, pull trigger with right forefinger. Both controls in the prefect spot without moving my hand from its natural place on the handle

I know I had a few questions that I couldn't really find any answers to on the net, so will try and get a full write up addressing those points when I get a chance to.

Mark.

Edited by froop
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nauticam build quality is indeed impressive. I had an Olympus-made housing before my Nauticam and there is just no way I could go back!

19 minutes ago, froop said:

Losing the aperture ring is not an issue. Realistically if the aperture dial was transferred, it works take the form of a rotation dial similar to the Zoom/focus ring. So assigning the front command dial to aperture control has the same effect.

Can you assign the front command dial to operate the aperture on your X-T3? With my X-T1 the command dial can only be used if the lens doesn't have an aperture ring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, climb-ski-dive said:

Can you assign the front command dial to operate the aperture on your X-T3? With my X-T1 the command dial can only be used if the lens doesn't have an aperture ring.

I can't remember if the default setting is aperture control or not, but here's a quick video capture of the setting:

https://youtu.be/RdYy3eZaz0Y

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...