Sign in to follow this  
Interceptor121

Nikon rumours for new DSLR D580 and D880 cameras

@adamhanlon was correct you can never tell with Nikon

http://thenewcamera.com/nikon-d580-and-nikon-d880-rumored-specification/

Interesting news if you combine it with the latest financial issues. In essence Nikon path into mirrorless is not all in like canon (who has stopped DSLR) 

This may be interesting for those wanting an update to their 2016/17 cameras but possibly a recognition they are not that good at mirrorless 

I suspect this level of indecision may cost dear to Nikon that has lost the intel business which is a major blow to their cash generation

At $40k a body - Nikon will recoup their margins pretty quickly...  

8 hours ago, g3cko said:

At $40k a body - Nikon will recoup their margins pretty quickly...  

That has to be a typo!

7 hours ago, TimG said:

That has to be a typo!

I think Nikon will be lucky if they don't go into administration in 2021.

Their plan to diversify into other business segments is not working and they not found anyone to fill the gap from Intel which was one of the few part of the business that was actually generating money

I shoot underwater with a D500. I only do photos and the specs of the rumored D580 don't make me think about upgrading anytime soon.

Maybe a back-illuminated sensor with higher dynamic range?Anyway, I’m just not ready for mirrorless and I’m very happy with my D500 and current lenses.

I wonder how Nikon splits its sales between cameras and lenses.

To be fair...

There were solid predictions for the D880 going back to January.  There was little doubt that Nikon would actually put this camera into production (anyone who thought this doesn't really understand product development cycles).

Definitely a question on the D580, but personally not surprised they are releasing this model as well.

Most have predicted this will be cross-over point for mirrorless for Nikon. A high end (pro) mirrorless will likely get released in mid/late 2021, along with some kind of upgrade to the Z6/Z7 lines.

As an owner of both a D500 and a D850 (both in Nauticam housings) I'm more interested in the D580 update. If there is a generational improvement in autofocus (and housing availability) I would consider upgrading (my last DSLR update...)

Depending on the next gen mirrorless offerings, I would look to move to mirrorless after that (possibly moving to Sony).

14 hours ago, Joss said:

I shoot underwater with a D500. I only do photos and the specs of the rumored D580 don't make me think about upgrading anytime soon.

Maybe a back-illuminated sensor with higher dynamic range?Anyway, I’m just not ready for mirrorless and I’m very happy with my D500 and current lenses.

I wonder how Nikon splits its sales between cameras and lenses.

The D500 is back illuminated already?

On 12/5/2020 at 10:23 PM, Interceptor121 said:

The D500 is back illuminated already?

I believe D500 is not a back illuminated sensor.

I would not expect many UW photographers upgrading from D850 to D880. Or from D500 to D580.

Maybe for those going full frame, the especulated D880 might be appealing.

In my case, current situation does not allow me to think about upgrading any time soon. 

Joss

10 hours ago, Joss said:

I believe D500 is not a back illuminated sensor.

I would not expect many UW photographers upgrading from D850 to D880. Or from D500 to D580.

Maybe for those going full frame, the especulated D880 might be appealing.

In my case, current situation does not allow me to think about upgrading any time soon. 

Joss

There was a lot of speculation at release however you are probably right as Sony does not make any BI APSC sensor for their own line

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements