Sign in to follow this  
PeteAtkinson

Curious command wheel issue with Nikon D800 in NA-D800

I find this fascinating but... I planned to use my D800 housing yesterday to shoot some over/under pictures. When set up in the housing, the main command wheel wouldn't change the aperture (I altered it to operate the aperture rather than the shutter speed.) With the housing back removed, the command wheel changed the aperture perfectly. But with the back on, it wouldn't. I checked that all buttons were withdrawn and not pressing on anything. I could feel the command wheel turning on the camera. Changing to another D800 body, the command wheel worked as it should with the housing assembled. I have no idea why one wouldn't work, yet the other did! Any ideas?

I'm sure you have probably considered this, but a slight misalignment of the camera in the housing can cause this...

If you try the "problematic" body again, does it still have the same problem?

Yes, the same. Also, when I press the ISO lever and try to adjust it with the rear command wheel, I can hear it clicking, but nothing happens...

Weird one, and very hard to diagnose remotely.

The troubleshooting  steps outlined above would suggest that there either is an issue with the read command dial on the camera, or the camera's alignment within the housing. This could be a wear/size variance of the dial itself, although I have never heard of this. 

So the command wheel is the dial just in front of the shutter?  It works with the housing back removed but when you install the back it stops working?

This would seem to indicate it's not a mechanical issue with turning the wheel, rather the camera stops taking input from the wheel when the back is on.   To me that would indicate one of the back buttons on the camera is activating and preventing the camera taking input from the wheel.  You said you already checked the buttons were withdrawn - presumably to thinking one may be pressed.   Sometimes I've seen camera buttons which are sticky and extra sensitive so a slight touch activates them.

You could try touching all the rear buttons in turn to see which if any prevent command wheel input.  You could also try saving all your settings and factory resetting the camera - maybe some setting you've made in interfering with operations - probably a long shot but it certainly seems to be a problem with this camera.  Does the command wheel only turn - there's no click functionality with it?

The main comand wheel it at the back of the camera on the starboard side. Resetting the camera to factory settings didn't do anything. Our other two D800 badies work as normal. I tried using one of these and slightly depressing each button on the back in turn to see if I could emulate the command wheel being unresponsive. I couldn't.  There is clicking from the command wheel when you turn it and you can feel/hear this when it's in the housing. Very strange...

Agree it's very odd but certainly seems to be an issue with the one camera and an issue not connected to mechanical interface with the housing as the other cameras work fine and as you say you hear/feel the clicks.  You tested the camera buttons on the camera that's giving problems?  Not entirely clear to me at any rate - the problems of diagnosing via delayed typed messages.  I ask that as the issue in the problem camera might be an overly sensitive button - or even a combination of buttons?

Different firmware versions?

All three had different firmware versions... I updated the problem camera - same issue. But good idea! Thanks! I will try combinations of light touches on the buttons of the problem camera to see if I can reproduce it. But I am not hopeful!

My gut feeling is that this is not a camera issue. If the rear command dial is working out of the housing, there is no reason for it not to in the housing...

It is much more likely to be the housing control to camera interface..

Adam

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements