Sign in to follow this  
wag7k2012

Socorro Lens Choice

Greetings,

I'm making a trip to Socorro this February and want to hear from those people that have been there.  What kind of lens did you primarily use?  I've heard it is almost all wide angle shooting; did you find that to be the case in your experiences?

I would recommend:
San Benedicto – El cañon: Wide angle or Fisheye
San Benedicto – El Boyler: Fisheye for Mantas and dolphins, they get super close.
Roca Partida: Wide angle and maybe no strobes? For Hammerhead shoals in the distance
Socorro – Cabo Piers: Fisheye you will see mantas and dolphins
Socorro – Punta tosca: Fisheye or Wideangle

Regards,
Joss

Just note that you can see any of the animals at any of the sites.  I've been there 3 times and it's different each visit.

A wide zoom like the 16-35 can be helpful for sharks that sometimes approach put not too close.

Edited by davehicks

@wag7k2012 are you on full frame DSLR? I am considering the same trip and shoot crop sensor full frame. I don't have anything wider than 10mm which is 15mm equivalent.

To the others, is that wide enough?

All wide angle is right. There may be a 35 mm shot in the trip but most is all wide angle.

On 12/10/2020 at 3:14 AM, Joss said:

I would recommend:
San Benedicto – El cañon: Wide angle or Fisheye
San Benedicto – El Boyler: Fisheye for Mantas and dolphins, they get super close.
Roca Partida: Wide angle and maybe no strobes? For Hammerhead shoals in the distance
Socorro – Cabo Piers: Fisheye you will see mantas and dolphins
Socorro – Punta tosca: Fisheye or Wideangle

Regards,
Joss

So Joss,  basically, you can really cover the entire trip with a Tokina 10-17mm on a crop sensor camera?

On 4/10/2021 at 12:12 AM, WanderingBob said:

So Joss,  basically, you can really cover the entire trip with a Tokina 10-17mm on a crop sensor camera?

That would depend on what lenses you already have, you can also try a tele-converter with the tokina 10-17. If I were to choose a single lens, the 10-17 would be the best option.

It's not unusual to see varying perspectives regarding lens choice.

I've read posts by Ken Kurtis regarding his Socorro trip with interest. In my opinion, Ken posted spectacular images captured during his recent trip and commented that he mostly used his Nikkor 28-105mm on his Nikon D750.

I encourage you to take a look at Ken's images. He did some impressive work with his Nikkor 28-105mm.

-Tinman

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements