lbedogni

Macro focusing techniques

11 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

So you use small focus points option?  One thing to note with AF systems is they will grab the highest contrast thing under the AF sensor point and if what you are shooting is 3 dimensional it may go for the edge rather than the surface if you get my meaning.  Think of the object as a cylinder and you want the closest surface of that in focus - if the AF grabs the edge rather than the surface - the surface might be a little soft.

you could try focus bracketing - set it up in a saved custom profile you can switch to and try a 3 image bracket with a small differential- if you are using manual flash (1/64) as trigger and something like 1/4 power the strobe should keep up for a short burst.  That at least might show if a slight shift in focus point will solve the issue.  I've used it on land it it works quite well.

I would also suggest IBIS - not for camera shake, but more for keeping aim on the subject, you would probably want that for the focus bracket if you tried that.

I am using the smallest point, but not the squared one, i am using the rectangle instead. I got your point, and I'll try that. On land I too use focus bracketing, but for underwater shots I fear that the strobes would not keep up.

depending on what model I would think that 3 shots might be achievable as long as you don't have the power up too high, which should be possible if you are in close.  you could always try it on land first.

Sponsors

Advertisements