adamhanlon

Wetpixel Live: Water Contact Optics Review

Water contact optics, designed specifically for underwater imaging, are one of the most interesting developments in underwater imaging. On Wetpixel Live, @Alex_Mustard and @adamhanlon run through the various wide angle options that they have used thus far and provide some ideas about how to get the best from them.

Out of curiosity,I would like to understand why wet add lenses work on mirrorless full frame cameras but not on dsrl cameras.
For example, Nauticam WWL-1 works with full frame Sony but not on dsrl.
Nauticam is announcing the new WWL-C with the Nikon Z-50. Doesn’t the Z-50 has the same sensor of the D500?
Is the distance between the sensor and the main lens that important?

Kind regards,
Joss

Continuing the Joss theme, nikon Z 50 and Nikon D500 cameras have the same 20Mp sensor, Nikon 16-50mm lens (for mirrorless) and similar 18-55mm lens (for DSLR), have the same system maximum length in  angular and tele possition, minimum length in intermediate possition. Why can use the Nauticam WWL-1 wet lens with the 16-50mm and can't use it with the 18-55mm?

The news lens Nikon 24-50mm and Sony 28-60mm for full frame mirrorless cameras can be used in underwater photography with Nauticam WWL-1 wet lens?

Edited by Pedro

5 hours ago, Joss said:

Out of curiosity,I would like to understand why wet add lenses work on mirrorless full frame cameras but not on dsrl cameras.
For example, Nauticam WWL-1 works with full frame Sony but not on dsrl.
Nauticam is announcing the new WWL-C with the Nikon Z-50. Doesn’t the Z-50 has the same sensor of the D500?
Is the distance between the sensor and the main lens that important?

Kind regards,
Joss

I don't see why it would not work however DSLR have port choices for zoom fisheye so would not bother with a WWL-1 that at the end gives less options that Tokina 10-17

Por la ventaja de que la lente humeda Nauticam WWL-1 se puede añadir o quitar en inmersión, mientras que el Tokina 10-17 mm esta fija.

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Por la ventaja de que la lente humeda Nauticam WWL-1 se puede añadir o quitar en inmersión, mientras que el Tokina 10-17 mm esta fija.

You need to write in english here or you will get nowhere

@Interceptor121 - people are welcome to write in whatever language they chose, although the majority of conversations on here are carried out in English. For emphasis, there is no "need" to write in English. 

@Joss - The NA-Z50 uses Nauticam's 100mm port system, which is compatible with WWL-1 and WWL-C. The NA-D500 uses the 120mm port system, which is not. To use bigger diameter lenses (like the 105mm f/2.9 VR), they recommend the use of an 100mm to 120mm converter. 

I think the advice stems from the lack of a native Z mount fisheye. The NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f3.5-6.3 VR listed for use with the WWL-C is the kit lens that people often already own when they chose to house the camera. This provides them with an option. 

[mention=34353]Interceptor121[/mention] - people are welcome to write in whatever language they chose, although the majority of conversations on here are carried out in English. For emphasis, there is no "need" to write in English. 

[mention=51360]Joss[/mention] - The NA-Z50 uses Nauticam's 100mm port system, which is compatible with WWL-1 and WWL-C. The NA-D500 uses the 120mm port system, which is not. To use bigger diameter lenses (like the 105mm f/2.9 VR), they recommend the use of an 100mm to 120mm converter. 
I think the advice stems from the lack of a native Z mount fisheye. The NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f3.5-6.3 VR listed for use with the WWL-C is the kit lens that people often already own when they chose to house the camera. This provides them with an option. 

I was merely suggesting nobody is going to translate to understand what someone writes then he can go on and see what he gets for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, this statement implies that people are required to write in English, which is (definitely) not the case. 

I agree that the poster may get less responses, but ultimately, this is their decision, not yours, mine or anyone else's to make...

To me, this statement implies that people are required to write in English, which is (definitely) not the case. 
I agree that the poster may get less responses, but ultimately, this is their decision, not yours, mine or anyone else's to make...

For sure

He is obviously translating the page but not bothering translating back
Will try myself some posts in italian lets see the response I get

4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Sorry for the spanish, I prefer one wet lens, Nauticam WWL-1, for the versatility (wide angle, standard, and macro in the same dive) than a zoom fisheye, like Tokina 10-17 mm

Sorry for the spanish, I prefer one wet lens, Nauticam WWL-1, for the versatility (wide angle, standard, and macro in the same dive) than a zoom fisheye, like Tokina 10-17 mm

The fact it is not on the port chart does not mean it doesn’t work.
This will depend on the lens design and how close is to the glass port. In general you will not easily find flat ports as most would have a dome

What do you think about the AOI EPL10 + 14-42EZ equipment with AOI UWL-09PRO Wide Angle Lens and AOI UCL-09 Macro Lens? Is it a good quality solution for underwater photography for amateur photographers?

It's not just APSC or Fullframe that man lives! ;-)

What do you think about the AOI EPL10 + 14-42EZ equipment with AOI UWL-09PRO Wide Angle Lens and AOI UCL-09 Macro Lens? Is it a good quality solution for underwater photography for amateur photographers?

Neither Alex or I have used them, so we have no idea! Alex does shoot M43 and I use a Sony Compact with WWL-1, but neither of us have used the AOI lenses. In the video, we emphasize that we can only talk about the lenses that we have used (and that the video is only talking about wide angle water contact optics...

You would be best posting your enquiry as a topic here on the forums, as there will undoubtedly be people that have used them and can give you relevant feedback...

8 minutes ago, adamhanlon said:

You would be best posting your enquiry as a topic here on the forums, as there will undoubtedly be people that have used them and can give you relevant feedback...

Thank you very much Mr. Adam Hanlon

• Like 1

Just now, turandot said:

Thank you very much Mr. Adam Hanlon

There was one guy on scubaboard who tried all the 'cheap' options after spending more money that way he bought a nauticam lens

There is no way to shortcut quality. Most of the AOI, Fantasea, etc are made by the same factory in China, while Inon and Nauticam aren't

Inon has reported some success with the glass dome this includes Olympus MFT

13 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

Inon has reported some success with the glass dome this includes Olympus MFT

Thanks Interceptor121. I understand. You mean the inon Dome Port EP01 (PEN) or EP02 (OMD) ? They seem like good solutions.

Maybe it's an topic to be covered in another thread.

Thanks Interceptor121. I understand. You mean the inon Dome Port EP01 (PEN) or EP02 (OMD) ? They seem like good solutions.
Maybe it's an topic to be covered in another thread.

No I meant the inon uwl-100 and with dome you may find second hand

Nauticam added the FE 28-60mm lens to its Sony port chart and Sony owners should be excited. First the lens works with all Sony FF cameras. It also works with the excellent but not cheap WACP-1 resulting in an AOV of 130 to 68 degrees, the older Sony FE 28-70 goes to 59 degrees. The new Sony FE 28-60mm also works with the less expensive WWL-1 which until now only worked on Sony mirrorless with the SonyFE  28mm F/2 so young  have the same added zoom range. Because the 26-60mm lens takes a 40.5mm lens filter the diameter is small enough to work with the sub-full frame CMC-1 and CMC-2 closeup lenses that many M4/3 and APS-C owners now use. At this time Nauticam lists the Sony FE 28-70mm with Techart Sony to Nikon Z AF adapter for use with WAPC-1.If you want a zoom lens for the Nikon Z system and WACP-1combo the Sony 28-70 is the only choice. Sony and Nikon Z both use the same 120/20mm port extension for the Sony FE 28-70mm and WACP-1. No port extension is required with the Sony FE 28-60mm and WACP-1 so I would expect the same may be true for Nikon Z and WACP.

I would also point-out that Nauticam WWL-1 was designed for full frame even though it has been widely adopted for sub-full frame cameras. Even on high res full frame cameras like the 62mp Sony A7R IV results are excellent and superior to any wide angle lens and port combination I have tested. You can read my review of the WWL-1 on full frame in back issue #114 at uwpmag.com.

I have attached photos of the Sony A7c with 28-60 zoom and A7R IV with 28-70 zoom for a size comparison.

untitled-2622.jpg

untitled-2638.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/15/2020 at 1:25 AM, adamhanlon said:

@Joss - The NA-Z50 uses Nauticam's 100mm port system, which is compatible with WWL-1 and WWL-C. The NA-D500 uses the 120mm port system, which is not. To use bigger diameter lenses (like the 105mm f/2.9 VR), they recommend the use of an 100mm to 120mm converter. 

Hi Adam, out of curiosity what is the issue with the N120 port system?  My understanding is that the WWL-1 will fit any port with an M67 thread - the only issue is if a suitable flat port combination for the lens you wish to use is available - by suitable I mean the right length so that the spacing of lens to WWL-1 is correct to get the full field of view without vignetting and with an m67 thread.  The ports for older versions of the 18-55 don't have m67 threads.

For example Nauticam lists the 18- 55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens with the compact port base and compact port 15 with 67mm thread and the the MWL-1.  Nauticam does not list the WWL-1 on the chart probably because they have not tested it.    The VR-II lens is physically longest at min and max zoom and shortest in the middle so very likely would work without vignetting over the full range - but you'd have to try it out to be sure.

@Phil Rudin wow thanks for the insights! Yes, very interested in the WWL-1 with 28-60mm combo, as aside from the price of the WACP, 7KG top side weight is something I think I will struggle with quite a bit (have issues now already with a full Ikelite setup). Also having a fixed 28mm behind a WWL-1 means much less flexibility in shooting.

Have you tested the comparison of the WWL-1 with 28-60mm vs with the WACP? Is there a massive difference in image quality? Wondering now if it will somehow fit my Ikelite housing for the A7III. Hmm....

43 minutes ago, singkwan said:

Have you tested the comparison of the WWL-1 with 28-60mm vs with the WACP? Is there a massive difference in image quality? Wondering now if it will somehow fit my Ikelite housing for the A7III. Hmm....

the only requirement seems to be an m67 thread to take the WWL itself or a bayonet mount and a port that is not too long so the at the widest setting the lens is close enough to the glass not to vignette,    Unfortunately ikelite's range of flat ports is somewhat limited they have a one size fits everything philosophy.  The 75301 flat port is 64mm long  while the 28-60 lens is 45mm long meaning at least 20mm from port glass plus the distance from the housing flange to the camera body, so while it might physically fit you may see some vignetting and lose a little of the wide end.  Probably still worth testing out if you have the opportunity to try it in a shop  or make some measurements.

Thank you very much Phil Rudin for the information about the compatibility of the Sony 28-60 mm lens and the Nauticam WWL-1 wet lens.

I think we should be clear that both WWL-1 and WWL-C produce a fisheye image, with lots of barrel distortion. 

So while you can use it with the new 28-60 (and this may be a good option for use with Sony or Nikon mirrorless that don't have a viable fisheye option), it would be the same as using an fisheye lens with a dome, albeit with the possibility of a marginal improvement in corner performance. 

The WACP offers much less barrel distortion, used with the 28-60 or any other lens.

@ChrisRoss My understanding of WWL compatibility is that it requires a smaller diameter exit pupil on the lens. Although there is no real reason you can't put a smaller diameter lens into an N120 port, you can't put a larger diameter lens into an N100 one!

Aren't the WWL-1 and WWL-C much narrower than a full 180° fisheye and also much less fishy (although still more fishy than the WACP?). And obviously you get some zoom capabilities with the combination of the 28-60mm (or any other zoom in any other system).

Sponsors

Advertisements