Tom_.park

Strobes VS Video Lights - Can underwater video lights be used for underwater photography?

Strobes VS Video Lights - Can underwater video lights be used for underwater photography? A few years ago I was a strong believer that video lights were just not powerful enough, but my opinion on this has totally shifted - Video on the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjmYtUQCFOw 

I really would like to see some comparisons on similar compositions made one with strobe second with flash. I have very old two flash lights and thinking about upgrade. My video lights 4000 lumen each are to poor to photography.

Is it possible to use lets say

- at clean coral reefs
- 2 x 10000 lumen lights
- iso 200-800
- aperture 2.8-5.6
and get colors and sharp image in few meters distance at 25 deep meters where blue is dominating with APSC or Full Frame camera?

Edited by PiotrPL

17 minutes ago, PiotrPL said:

I really would like to see some comparisons on similar compositions made one with strobe second with flash. I have very old two flash lights and thinking about upgrade. My video lights 4000 lumen each are to poor to photography.

- at clean coral reefs
- 2 x 10000 lumen lights
- iso 200-800
- aperture 2.8-5.6
and get colors and sharp image in few meters distance at 25 deep meters where blue is dominating with APSC or Full Frame camera?

See here:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PiotrPL said:

- at clean coral reefs
- 2 x 10000 lumen lights
- iso 200-800
- aperture 2.8-5.6

You might get close with good exposure/colour particularly at the higher ISO, but the other parameters will be a challenge.  f2.8 is very fast for UW and there's really no wide angle solution which will not have mushy corners there.  you might get f5.6 with a WWL/WACP type water contact optics.   A fisheye you would probably want f8-11 and a rectilinear wide f11-16.  The other issue is pointing such bright lights at a subject often causes it to leave, which may not be a problem with video but could present challenges getting into position for a good composition for stills.   I would also expect you would want to be closer than a "few"metres - probably more like 1m. 

19 hours ago, PiotrPL said:

- at clean coral reefs
- 2 x 10000 lumen lights
- iso 200-800
- aperture 2.8-5.6

Old topic but may help.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for links to other post ... they helped a lot to answer few my questions 

On 2/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, PiotrPL said:

Thanks a lot for links to other post ... they helped a lot to answer few my questions 

Happy it was useful.

Diggy

Sponsors

Advertisements