ScubaLute

Nauticam WACP-1 on a Seacam housing

I am planning to get a WACP-1 for use with my Seacam D850 housing and have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer, probably Adam. I will be using it with a Nikon AF Nikkor 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D lens, but do also have an older Nikon AF Nikkor 28 mm f/2.8D and hope to have a setup that can use either.

I understand that I can get an adapter from Saga to connect the WACP but I am wondering do you use an extension ring with the WACP setup on Seacam? I notice that Nauticam recommend a 35 mm extension ring on their chart from the WACP and the 28-70mm lens. Will it work with the Saga adapter connecting a Seacam extension ring to the WACP? And is 35mm the best extension ring length on Seacam as it is on Nauticam.

Also what zoom gear what with the 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D? Does Seacam offer one that will work?

Thank you,

Jon Walwick

Hi Jon

I use a Nauticam WACP 1 with my Seacam Silver D850 housing and love the combination!

I use it with the Nikkor 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 and find this an excellent lens with the combination, both in terms of IQ and the zoom range. It works really well for large reef scenics, wreck images and big animals. Although the 28mm will work, I don't think there would be much advantage in using it. The WACP is really good, but definitely softens in the corners at f/4 or so, so a f/2.8 lens will not gain any significant exposure advantage. I also find the zoom range is really useful for framing.

Jose from SAGA makes adaptors for most things, and kindly made me an adaptor. This is used without an extension ring. The position of the camera within a Seacam housing is different to that of a Nauticam housing, so the recommended (Nauticam) extension is not correct with the Seacam housing. Jose builds a single adaptor that corrects this and places the WACP at the optimum distance without any extensions. It attaches directly between the WACP and the Seacam housing.

I use a Seacam Tokina 10-17mm zoom ring that I shimmed out with some large O rings on the lens barrel. This was originally intended to be a temporary measure until I could get one made, but I must confess that it has worked so well I am minded to keep using it! Harald can make zoom rings as required, so I am sure he can make a better version than my jury-rig. 

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the reply and advice. I will contact SAGA to make the adapter purchase. I do have the 10-17 Tokina ring. My 28-70 mm has not yet arrived but looking at pictures of it and comparing it to a 18mm Nikkor for which I have a focus ring, it looks like that may be a good fit.

Jon

I confess that my reason for using the 10-17mm zoom ring was that it was the smallest one I had. If the 18mm is smaller, it will likely be better.

Sponsors

Advertisements