TmxDiver

Lightroom Lens Corrections for WWL-1 or WWL-C

Is anybody doing lens correction in Lightroom for either of these two wet lenses? Based on the EXIF data, Lightroom obviously thinks that I'm just using the native lens and has no idea about the wet lens.

As has been pointed out before, the WWL-C (and probably the WWL-1) actually has a noticeable amount of barrel distortion. I've tried correcting it "by hand" but I'm wondering if anybody has a lens profile (it would in some sense also depend upon the focal length of the native lens).

- brett

You can create your own lens profiles using software provided by adobe:  https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/digital-negative.html#Adobe_Lens_Profile_Creator

that would be the best solution.  It requires an image to work from and you would need to take that image in a pool.  Sounds like quite the process to shoot the charts - they must be flat so would need to be board mounted probably.  This link gives the process:  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjc3-C_wtntAhVZzDgGHZdcC9oQFjAAegQIAxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.adobe.com%2Fjnack%2Ffiles%2F2013%2F09%2FBuilding_Profiles.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1EMtoeYBJebR6H83rJ_7C1

Bear in mind any correction tends to degrade the image as it stretches or compresses the image to make it rectilinear. 

You could try it without the built in corrections or maybe just turn on vignetting and CA corrections.  If you have got a line in an image you feel needs to be straight then play with barrel correction till it looks right is one possible approach. 

Thanks, Chris. Quite the process indeed.

It does seem like a potential "Covid project" and since I have a pool in my backyard...

Just FYI to others, I went to go look at this and it looks like Adobe no longer supplies the image (see attached screenshot). I'm sure I could find it on the Internet somewhere if I really wanted to.

I wonder if I asked Adobe to add a profile correction for an underwater wet lens what their reaction would be. Maybe I'll try just to have a little fun. :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 6.41.55 AM.png

• Like 1

I'm sure there would be plenty of places where you could download it including maybe even the wayback machine.  BTW that is the downloader which allows you download profiles created by others.  The creator is still there but well hidden:

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5490&fileID=5486

Perfect, thanks Chris. I might have a crack at it if I get some free cycles. I've also been using Metashape quite a bit lately and I think I might try to use their lens correction tool.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:39 AM, TmxDiver said:

Is anybody doing lens correction in Lightroom for either of these two wet lenses? Based on the EXIF data, Lightroom obviously thinks that I'm just using the native lens and has no idea about the wet lens.

As has been pointed out before, the WWL-C (and probably the WWL-1) actually has a noticeable amount of barrel distortion. I've tried correcting it "by hand" but I'm wondering if anybody has a lens profile (it would in some sense also depend upon the focal length of the native lens).

- brett

My recommendation DON'T

contrary to common belief fisheye lenses are not sharp in corners they simply compress them and this gives a nice visual effect

When you stretch out your WWL images you will discover the sad truth. Not sure what format you shoot but there are compromise options with rectilinear lenses that work on certain cropped formats

4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

My recommendation DON'T

contrary to common belief fisheye lenses are not sharp in corners they simply compress them and this gives a nice visual effect

When you stretch out your WWL images you will discover the sad truth. Not sure what format you shoot but there are compromise options with rectilinear lenses that work on certain cropped formats

Thanks for the advice.

I shoot an APS-C (Sony a6400). I also have the Sony 10-18mm (15-27 FF equiv) with a Nauticam 7" dome.

I've had reasonably good results with F/8 or smaller in that configuration. They aren't perfect but they are good enough for me to share the dive with other people and the corners aren't distracting. I'm also usually shooting under "harsh" conditions (deep and dark with a lot of particulate matter) which doesn't help.

- brett

Sponsors

Advertisements