egonz082

Combining strobes and video light on rig

Hi everyone!

Trying to get some feedback of combining 1 strobe and 1 video light in the same rig.

I love taking photos but also enjoy creating short videos of 3 or 4 minutes of the dives I do. Currently I only own 1 strobe (because that's what I could afford) and now I have the funds to purchase another light but I have the dilema of buying another strobe or getting a video light so that I can get better video footage and then combine them both when taking still photography... all this because at the moment I can't afford 2 strobes and 2 video lights.

I appreciate the comments.

Thanks!

Bear in mind that even the brightest video light is no match for strobe output,  there was a post on here sometime back comparing the a YS-D2 with a 14,000 lumen gates light.  The Gates light was 5 or 6 stops less bright then the strobe. 

It can be done in some circumstances depending on what camera you are using and how much you have stopped down and if it's wide angle or macro. 

If you use a compact you will shoot at f2.8 (TG-6) or f5-5.6 (RX-100, G7X etc) which means your strobes will be turned down  2-4 stops compared to what you would use on full frame.  This means the video light has a chance to provide enough light to provide some fill which is bright enough to be recorded and get close to the brightness of your strobe.

If you are doing macro, strobes are also often turned way down and you can get the light very close so again you have a chance- more so with smaller sensors than full frame again.  For example depth of field is the same for m43 at f8 and full frame at f16 ( same scene,  and magnification - that is to say you have adjusted position so you get the same framing).

CFWA also is a possibility as you are very close and if are using a smaller sensor you are not needing to stop down as much to get your depth of field or to get sharp corners with a dome port.

There is probably some fiddling involve swapping between video and stills - if you are shallow enough doing a custom white balance for ambient light video might be a possibility.  Also many creatures will leave if you point 5- 10,000 lumens at them.

How much coverage will you need with your typical video?   I've not got a video light, but I've used my focus lights as emergency video lights on rare occasions.  (I almost never shoot video).

My focus lights are a 2400 lumen Fishlite V24 and a 3500 lumen Kraken.   Both are very bright for focusing and have multiple power settings, red light, etc.  However, when used for video, even the Kraken only throws decent coverage for about 1-2 feet diameter at close range.    Video lights underwater must be insanely powerful to do the job.

Now if you want to shoot videos of macro subjects, a focus light will do.

If you want to shoot wide angle scenes, no video light will do - if you are thinking of covering the whole scene.  Unless you are in a very restricted environment like a cave or shipwreck, a video light just can't light up everything in a scene.   More like balancing a dark area against a light one.  (Maybe over/under shots for instance).

If you want to shoot mid-range, like a diver or two (full-body) relatively close, a pair of powerful video lights will work.    The ones I've seen on my dives (like videographers capturing your Kona Manta Ray dive experience) are just incredibly powerful with price tags to match.

I'd just specialize in two strobes for still photography for now.   For video work with ambient lighting - in most wide scenes I do I have to deal with ambient lighting outside the range of my strobes (still or video), and that means mixed color temperatures across the scene.   Sometimes it's just better to crank up the ISO.

Sponsors

Advertisements