Sign in to follow this  
mark kirkland

CMC / housing compatibility

Hi everyone, 

Anyone know how the CMC performs on housings other than Nauticam? I know they're designed for use on Nauticam housings. 

The reason I ask is because I'm currently piecing together a D500 setup and looking at housing options. I've bought the Nikon 60mm and intended to use one of the CMC's on a flip mount as this is the macro setup that people continually recommend for fantastic image quality. I had planned on going for the Nauticam housing however I'm working to a budget so was trying to source one used (hint hint ..... if you have one to sell PM me), but may need to look at a cheaper housing. 

Thanks!
Mark

There are two requirements for the CMC and any other wet diopters to work - an M67 thread to allow the lens or a bayonet mount to be threaded on and a port that is the right length to place the lens close enough to the port glass for the optics to work.  This is the case for many housing /port systems .

This post talks about performance of the close up lenses and may be of interest: 

15 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

There are two requirements for the CMC and any other wet diopters to work - an M67 thread to allow the lens or a bayonet mount to be threaded on and a port that is the right length to place the lens close enough to the port glass for the optics to work.  This is the case for many housing /port systems .

This post talks about performance of the close up lenses and may be of interest: 

Many thanks Chris, I did a quick search and somehow missed that thread. Looks like my question might be answered in there! I understand the point about threading, it's mainly how distance changes with each port option affects the actual optical quality as I know Nauticam are all designed very specifically with Nauticam ports and housings in mind. I wouldn't want to fork out for a setup that compromises things. 

Anyway, I'll have a read through that thread and watch the videos. Thanks again!

I currently use Inon UCL-67, UCL-90, CMC and SMC on Seacam housings without any optical issues.

I have also used SubSea, FIT, Scubacam, Moby and probably a few more that escape my memory currently!

Flips are more challenging however, as they need a locating pin to stop them revolving in use. SAGA produce macro ports for most housings that have this feature. Personally, I don't like flips, so this isn't really an issue...

As long as the housing/port/lens combination is correct, there is no problem using third-party wet macro close up lenses.

Not an issue that should affect your decision on housing choice...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements