Lost-Oost

Upgrade from Comact to Full Frame & Nikon Z7 II

I've been playing around with compacts underwater over last few years and have recently made up my mind to upgrade.

I do 98% stills (both macro and wide angle) and coming from compacts, the next logical step would be micro 4/3,...., from what I've read and researched. I've always been a big Olympus fan, I love the OM-D series cameras but with the current Olympus situation, lack of local infrastructure and a major investment that must last and be adaptable to future upgrades, I've decided to go b@!!$ to wall and go full fame (go big or go home right. LOL)

I really like the both the Nikon D850 and Nikon Z7, except for focus issues with the Z7 compared to the D850. I’m not really concerned about size and weight as majority of my diving is done in locations not requiring flying to get there.

Nikon recently released the Z7 II with various improvements like the two EXPEED 6 processors, “which improves ….., including its buffer, autofocus, ….”. But nowhere have I been able to find any underwater reviews on the new Z7II. Has anyone been able to do some diving with the new Z7II and if so, how does it compare to its predecessor?

• Like 1

I am excited to see how well new AF on the Z7 II performs underwater too! As they only shipped in December, and many people are unable to dive due to COVID restrictions, I think it is probably a tad early for reviews!

Currently, the other "problem" with the Z series is the lack of lenses suitable for underwater use. Nikon have announced that they will be shipping a Z 105mm macro at some point, but there is no fisheye option and until there is, you are forced to use F mount lenses and the adaptor. Given this, I can see no advantage over a D850...

You can use water contact lenses with the Z7 of course, which will maximize your optical quality for wide angle.

Adam

Hi Adam

There are a lot of rumors on the net about new and upgraded cameras for this year, so it might be best to wait and see wat is launched on marked and make a decision from there. 

Thank you for the Wetpixel episodes on a regular basis, real wealth of information and keeping current.

Thank you!

Yes I agree, the new models could be very interesting!

I am hoping for a D500 with slightly more pixels, the D6's focus systems and will fit into my D500 housing!

Adam

2 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

...... and will fit into my D500 housing!

Adam

Ha! We wish!

15 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

I am hoping for a D500 with slightly more pixels, the D6's focus systems and will fit into my D500 housing!

Plus one or two steps of dynamic range. Surely that will do the trick for me.

I think full frame can be a good upgrade but are you sure to give up to lightweight and compact setup?

Nope, no plans on selling my little Olympus. There will definitely be days where my compact will be preferred.

Sponsors

Advertisements