Sign in to follow this  
Dann-Oh

Inward Lighting Explanation Help

Hey all,

I am reading through "Underwater Photography Masterclass" some of you might have heard of it.  I am reading through the wide angle chapter and it mentions inward lighting, I am kind of confused by this technique.  Is there a simple sketch that depicts the beam angle for strobes in this configuration.  I think a simple diagram would be really valuable for the reader for the various lighting configurations and should be included in the next edition of the book.

Page 22

56 minutes ago, PhotoJunkie said:

Page 22

Hmmm, not in my edition. That's the start of Chapter 2.

I have a digital version.

After the inward lighting text is an overhead shot of Alex with the strobes in said position.

Looks very obvious to me.

1 hour ago, TimG said:
2 hours ago, PhotoJunkie said:

Page 22

maybe he ment page 122.

Yeah I have looked at that photo a bunch but I cant seem to grasp where the light cone is pointing.  Im guessing the subject side of the light cone is just kissing the subject and the rest of the light cone is pointed backwards at the photographer?  eehh oh well it doesnt make sense to me.

Edited by Dann-Oh

8 hours ago, TimG said:

yup same for me. probably means 122. here the position is depicted by an image, but maybe not so clear.

could it possibly mean something like this ?Or is the angle even steeper towards your head ?

Alex needs to jump in :mellow: 

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 12.32.46 PM.png

OK this image clarifies the placement. Its a larger image of what is shown in the book. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 1.10.25 PMskunk anemone fish img 5839.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the link @ChrisRoss. I've tried inward lightning before and never got satisfying results. This link shows much better how it could help. 

Btw, can you not use the like/thanks buttons on Moderator Posts? 

160614_ahanlon_18801.jpg

This was shot with the strobes pointing almost directly back at me and the housing.

The foreground was lit by the edge of the strobe. It was evening, so the ambient light was quite low.

Adam

3 hours ago, hyp said:

Btw, can you not use the like/thanks buttons on Moderator Posts? 

No, Adam feels that just being a Moderator is sufficient fame and glory for any of us :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

160614_ahanlon_18801.jpg

This was shot with the strobes pointing almost directly back at me and the housing.

The foreground was lit by the edge of the strobe. It was evening, so the ambient light was quite low.

Adam

Wow that's intersting. Thanks Adam. 

9 hours ago, TimG said:

No, Adam feels that just being a Moderator is sufficient fame and glory for any of us :rolleyes:

:lol:

@ChrisRoss Thanks a ton for that link it really helped.  The single thing that makes the most sense for this technique is "point the strobes at your ears".

Thanks to everyone else for their input as well.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements