imacro

Sony A6400 for macro and super macro?

On 2/2/2021 at 6:56 PM, lostloki said:

The 16-50mm with wet lenses also works and actually better than expected, but with limitations.  I used it for my first trips with the camera and found it acceptable but really not a huge step up from a good compact set up.  The dedicated lenses are.

so this is also kind of a dilema of me.

I have a Sony a6300 with fantasea housing and I just love macro but the kit lens (16-50) isn't enough.

I'm trying to figure out what's better- buying the sel30m35 or buying a diopter and shoot with the kit lens.

I'm guessing the big con of the sel30m35 is the same as with all the dry macro lenses- I'm loosing versatility, I won't be able to take pictures of a stingray swimming or things like that... 

SEL30M35 isn't much of a macro lens - the working distance is just too short. Its 1:1 reproduction distance is basically on the port glass, and lighting subjects that close is quite a challenge. It should be fine for fish portraits and such - 30mm should be quite adequate for rays, so long as it's not gigantic mantas - just not for the really tiny stuff.

I shoot macro with SEL90M28G on my A6300, and I'm quite happy with it, although it's definitely a dedicated macro lens - a 4-5 inch subject is basically as big as it will frame from reasonable distance. In very clear water, with powerful strobes, you can get away with bigger stuff - for example, this giant frogfish was shot from about six feet away - but that's more of an exception than the rule.

As far as diopters go, I have a Weefine WFL05S (+13) that I use with my 90mm for supermacro, and I just got the short threaded flat port for my housing that would allow me to use it with 16-50mm, and land testing (haven't taken it underwater yet) gives me frame widths from 28mm at minimum focus distance to 40mm at maximum focus distance (16-50mm zoomed to 50mm and set to manual focus). A weaker diopter will move this window towards the larger subject sizes.

12 hours ago, sarthur1 said:

so this is also kind of a dilema of me.

I have a Sony a6300 with fantasea housing and I just love macro but the kit lens (16-50) isn't enough.

I'm trying to figure out what's better- buying the sel30m35 or buying a diopter and shoot with the kit lens.

I'm guessing the big con of the sel30m35 is the same as with all the dry macro lenses- I'm loosing versatility, I won't be able to take pictures of a stingray swimming or things like that... 

As Barmagalot says the 30mm macro isn't really that great as there is no working distance.  The 16-50 with diopters is also a little limiting, the Nauticam port charts give you some indication of magnification and working distance with their CMC diopters, you can decent magnification of just under lifesize but the working distance is only 46mm with CMC-1.  Contrast this to the 90mm macro which gets life size with 130mm working distance.

The other options are the 50mm macro lenses, they have around 60mm working distance at 1:1 and while they take diopters working distance is very short.  The adapted 60mm may be an option as it seems it would give reasonable working distance with the CMC-2. 

Data is in this port chart:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fhg3Qx21pDH_prmZNKlsZUmBaHW86pWg/view

It's all for Nauticam diopters, but similar power diopters from other vendors will have similar performance - working distance will vary a little.  As for AF performance that varies between the lenses and also I believe the newer A6xxx series bodies are better with AF.

Sponsors

Advertisements