Aqua Kahuna

Strobes vs Video lights

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking to start my underwater photography world (post GoPro)  with a Sony A7R ii once I find a housing, can I still get decent images from video lights (2x Light & Motion 2500 sola SF) instead (or before I can afford to) of dropping a fortune on strobes?

Thanks for any feedback!

Maybe for macro, but for anything else you need strobes.

Thanks so much for the reply John, good to know!

Maybe I could focus on some macro work until I can afford strobes. Would I need something like the Z330s or similar, or is there something which would be ok that you could recommend for around half the price for an amatuer? I'm getting a bit bamboozled the more I look into it, it's like a rabbit hole!!!

Hey Aqua Kahuna

I agree with John. You need a strobe(s).

There is no problem starting with one. A Z330 would be a good choice - as would a good second hand Z240. They have proved to be very reliable.

Eventually you will want to get a second one and it'd be a good plan to have the same as the first one you buy. If it's going to take you a while to get to two, it might be wise to go for a Z330 as these are new and will be around for a good time. Z240s have been around years and will get harder to find - although there's plenty around on the second hand market at the moment.

Thanks so Much TimG.

That's really insightful mate, again, thanks! So from what you're saying, you can still get some 'ok' results with a single strobe? That actually makes it much more viable for me in the long run, an yes I agree, if it's the case where I can buy a current top end model and then add to it in a few months time, it beats running a pair of slightly more redundant models. If not the z330, is there anything else in that class  should be looking at, or is that the way to go? Thanks again TimG, I really appreciate your insights mate

My pleasure.

You can do better than "ok" with one strobe. There's no reason why with the right techniques and the right subjects you can't get cracking images. Two strobes gives you more options - not necessarily better than "ok" pics :rolleyes:

Other than the Z330, I can really recommend the new Retras - the Pro and the Prime. Bit more expensive than the Z330  but a terrific strobe. I've just moved from Z240s to the slightly cheaper, slight less powerful Primes and am delighted with them. Apart from great capability and exellent build quality, they are are truly design art!  The support from Oskar (who is often posting here) and the company is first rate. There are several reviews of the Retras if you search around WP.

I can heartily recommend the Inons or the Retras. Both would be a good "investment" (ha!) which would grow with any system upgrades that you may make - unlike the majority of the gear we all buy (housings, camera bodies). And starting with one of either would be just fine.

I'd also suggest pairing either with ULCS arms. Really long, hard-wearing and one of few other things that grow with you. I've had mine 20+ years and pretty much good as new.