Knightpics

Do you shoot with Sony a7 or A9 series and if so what wide angle lenses do you use

On the same topic,

What's the best Sony native or third party lens to use with the WACP-1??
Is it the Sony 28-70 f3.5-5.6 , the new Sony 28-60mm or something else??

And is the WWL-1 worthy in quality compared to the size and cost to the WWL-1??

1 hour ago, Martin.Broen said:

On the same topic,

As far as I know, the WACP ONLY works with the Sony 28-70 f/3.5-5.6 (on a Sony FF camera).

Is the WWL-1 worth in quality compared to ... the WWL-1? Is that what you meant?

I think the WWL-1 gives excellent results. If you really compare closely, side by side, I think you might be able to tell some difference between it and the WACP - mainly in the corners, I think. But, every time I think about spending the huge amount of money for a WACP, and then think about lugging that beast around - in my bag, on a plane, on and off a boat, etc, it makes me like my WWL-1 even more. In comparison to the WACP, the WWL-1 is a dream to travel with. Plus the WWL-1 has the flexibility to let you take it off in the water and put on a CMC-1 or similar to shoot macro. Or, if you don't want to change in the water, the flexibility to change from WA to macro on the boat, without having to open the housing (or buy a dedicated macro lens for the camera).

1 minute ago, stuartv said:

As far as I know, the WACP ONLY works with the Sony 28-70 f/3.5-5.6 (on a Sony FF camera).

Is the WWL-1 worth in quality compared to ... the WWL-1? Is that what you meant?

I think the WWL-1 gives excellent results. If you really compare closely, side by side, I think you might be able to tell some difference between it and the WACP - mainly in the corners, I think. But, every time I think about spending the huge amount of money for a WACP, and then think about lugging that beast around - in my bag, on a plane, on and off a boat, etc, it makes me like my WWL-1 even more. In comparison to the WACP, the WWL-1 is a dream to travel with. Plus the WWL-1 has the flexibility to let you take it off in the water and put on a CMC-1 or similar to shoot macro. Or, if you don't want to change in the water, the flexibility to change from WA to macro on the boat, without having to open the housing (or buy a dedicated macro lens for the camera).

Thanks for the great feedback

I do own a WWL-1 which I used with the 28mm (in a Full Frame ) but I kind of drift away from it to the Canon 8-15mm as an even more compact option and a tiny sharper. But the points you say about going for a Zoom lens and the potential combination with the CMC is an option I will have to try!

My interest in the WACP-1 was about corner sharpness while wide open as im almost always shooting in challenging light conditions (Cave diving) and I hoped it will let me go to a f4 being sharp.

2 hours ago, Martin.Broen said:

Thanks for the great feedback

I do own a WWL-1 which I used with the 28mm (in a Full Frame ) but I kind of drift away from it to the Canon 8-15mm as an even more compact option and a tiny sharper. But the points you say about going for a Zoom lens and the potential combination with the CMC is an option I will have to try!

My interest in the WACP-1 was about corner sharpness while wide open as im almost always shooting in challenging light conditions (Cave diving) and I hoped it will let me go to a f4 being sharp.

If you shoot WA in a cave at f/4, aren't you going to lose a lot of detail in your image due to less DOF? For WA, I would think you would want as much DOF as you can get.

Like I said, I have been shooting the WWL-1 with just the 28mm prime. I am really looking forward to starting to shoot with the zoom and the WWL-1. I think I will keep the 28mm prime and port, though. I'm thinking that, with being an f/2 it might actually be good for wide angle ambient light shooting, which I have not really done. I'm normally shooting more CFWA, using strobes. For that, f/6.3 - f/8 normally works well for me. But, true WA, with just ambient light, might be really good with the f/2 lens. Especially for shooting wrecks. I need to try that out!

2 hours ago, stuartv said:

If you shoot WA in a cave at f/4, aren't you going to lose a lot of detail in your image due to less DOF? For WA, I would think you would want as much DOF as you can get.

Like I said, I have been shooting the WWL-1 with just the 28mm prime. I am really looking forward to starting to shoot with the zoom and the WWL-1. I think I will keep the 28mm prime and port, though. I'm thinking that, with being an f/2 it might actually be good for wide angle ambient light shooting, which I have not really done. I'm normally shooting more CFWA, using strobes. For that, f/6.3 - f/8 normally works well for me. But, true WA, with just ambient light, might be really good with the f/2 lens. Especially for shooting wrecks. I need to try that out!

Hi, In cave you need to push all settings to a limit, with the Sony a7RIII in caves I'm shooting at ISO6400 1/15sec (or less. handheld) at that using f4.5, so is clearly a compromise on corner sharpness, and that where the 8-15 with the mini glass dome was a hair sharper

You can check those images in https://www.martinbroen.com/#/underworld/

Do you know which port or extension you need for the 28-60mm zoom?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martin.Broen said:

Hi, In cave you need to push all settings to a limit, with the Sony a7RIII in caves I'm shooting at ISO6400 1/15sec (or less. handheld) at that using f4.5, so is clearly a compromise on corner sharpness, and that where the 8-15 with the mini glass dome was a hair sharper

You can check those images in https://www.martinbroen.com/#/underworld/

Do you know which port or extension you need for the 28-60mm zoom?

Nice! You have some fantastic photos there! A couple of them looked like familiar places, too... :)

For the 28-60 zoom, per my advisor at Reef Photo, I have ordered:

Nauticam N100 Flat Port 45 with Focus Knob

Nauticam SFE2860-Z Zoom Gear for Sony FE 28-60 F4-5.6

I was told the port with the focus knob is the only port that works. No option for one with no focus knob. I did not get a focus gear, so the focus knob won't actually do anything.

The parts are not in stock yet. Reef advised they expect to receive them around the 2nd week of February.

The lens itself is not yet available for purchase by itself, either. Only as part of a kit with the a7c camera. I got my lens from a guy who bought the a7c and did not want the kit lens.

2 minutes ago, stuartv said:

Nice! You have some fantastic photos there! A couple of them looked like familiar places, too... :)

I was told the port with the focus knob is the only port that works. No option for one with no focus knob. I did not get a focus gear, so the focus knob won't actually do anything.

The parts are not in stock yet. Reef advised they expect to receive them around the 2nd week of February.

The lens itself is not yet available for purchase by itself, either. Only as part of a kit with the a7c camera. I got my lens from a guy who bought the a7c and did not want the kit lens.

Awesome, thanks!

I have used Sony FE 28-70 and FE 28-60 with WACP and prefer the results with the newer 28060 over the extra length of the 70mm. I reviewed the WWL-1 not to long ago with the FE 28mm F/2 and hope the results with the 28-60 zoom will be as good. I am waiting for the port and gear as well before I can start using the combo. with CMC-1 you can get to 1:1.1 and 1:1.4 with CMC-2 not bad for a kit lens that can cover both wide and closeup with one lens and port. All of my testing has been done on A7R IV so I would expect results with lower MP cameras to be great.

6 hours ago, Martin.Broen said:

The WWL-1 also works with the Sony 28mm prime. But in terms of quality I will use the Canon 8-15mm instead (Fixed at 15mm)

That was revised the day it was posted and has since reverted back for some reason.

8 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:

I have used Sony FE 28-70 and FE 28-60 with WACP and prefer the results with the newer 28060 over the extra length of the 70mm. I reviewed the WWL-1 not to long ago with the FE 28mm F/2 and hope the results with the 28-60 zoom will be as good. I am waiting for the port and gear as well before I can start using the combo. with CMC-1 you can get to 1:1.1 and 1:1.4 with CMC-2 not bad for a kit lens that can cover both wide and closeup with one lens and port. All of my testing has been done on A7R IV so I would expect results with lower MP cameras to be great.

Thanks!, that really simplifies my decision making process and will get the 28-60

Please let me know how it goes when you get the port and take it for a test

6 hours ago, Martin.Broen said:

On the same topic,

The port charts show all the lenses tested with the the various wet lenses with recommended ports and extensions if required . 

WACP here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pLOgQNey9Rqo5MM0gIyv9UH5rEguH5Vb/view

WWL-1/1B here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/16jbJ08JAzMxCLoI6LfraDJzks75oWC5e/view

There are a number of requirements for the lenses used behind these wet lenses.  First is simple-  28mm full frame equivalent is the widest you can use without vignetting.  Coupled with the 28mm requirement is having a flat port of the right length available for the WWL, if the port is too long you end up losing some field of view. 

Second is an entrance pupil size limit which means mostly slower kit lenses are recommended, but there are also a few fast primes in the list - the modern 24-70 and 28-70 f2.8 lenses mostly are not suitable.  It seems this requires testing for confirmation?

Last some lenses have zoom limits - perhaps the lens hits the inside of the port as it zooms in?  Some lens also need to zoom in a little to avoid vignetting.  All of these limits are noted in the port charts.  If you refer the post chart for the WACP-1 (page 4 of the pdf)  you will see the recommended lenses.

Regarding the last question assume you mean WACP vs WWL.    There are a few reviews around on the WACP but I've not seen one directly comparing it to the WWL-1.  All of the reviews note quality is significantly better than using a top end fast rectilinear zoom behind any dome port.  The reviews often have images attached but they are usually pretty small images and hard to judge quality on.  Here's one review that has an image taken at f3.5 at a half decent size:  https://www.thedigitalshootout.com/little-cayman-2019/gear-tests/Nauticam-WACP-Wide-Angle-Correction-Port.php

15 hours ago, stuartv said:

Hi, Was reading your mail and I think that the Focus Knob will actually be the one actuating the Zoom gear to bought. AT least that's the way it works on other systems I have

24 minutes ago, Martin.Broen said:

Hi, Was reading your mail and I think that the Focus Knob will actually be the one actuating the Zoom gear to bought. AT least that's the way it works on other systems I have

The guy at Reef specifically told me that without the Focus gear, the Focus knob wouldn't do anything.

My housing has a knob on the side already that I think will be actuating the Zoom gear. But, I could be wrong. It doesn't matter to me, as long as one of them adjusts the zoom. :)

The focus knob will only work on the focus gear.

I just received the 28-60 port from Nauticam, will try it out in the bathtub in the coming days with CMC2 and WWL1 (not sure what i can achieve there, but UWP is itching me!)

Edited by waterpixel

2 minutes ago, waterpixel said:

The focus know will only work on the focus gear.

I just received the 28-60 port from Nauticam, will try it out in the bathtub in the coming days with CMC2 and WWL1 (not sure what i can achieve there, but UWP is itching me!)

Dang it! I ordered mine (port and zoom gear) over a week ago. I hope this means mine is shipping soon!

On 1/29/2021 at 11:06 PM, Steen Nissen said:

I shoot with a Sony A7r4. I use Canon 8-15 with the mc11 adapter.  It´s working great.

I also wanted a rectilinear option, and was looking in to the 16-35mm, but the need of a really big dome with that lens, kept me off.

Instead I ended up with the Nauticam WWL-1 in front of the Sony 28mm f2. It's a very nice option. Small size, compared to the big dome, and very sharp images.

Thank you!  Will this work on other housings outside of Nauticam as well?  Do you have any sample images from this? 

3 minutes ago, WesleyD said:

Thank you!  Will this work on other housings outside of Nauticam as well?  Do you have any sample images from this? 

I was able to mount and use my WWL-1 on a Meikon housing for an Olympus E-M10. If that works, I would expect you can make the WWL-1 work on pretty much any brand of housing. Assuming you have a 28mm (or FF equivalent) lens and suitable flat port.

10 minutes ago, stuartv said:

I was able to mount and use my WWL-1 on a Meikon housing for an Olympus E-M10. If that works, I would expect you can make the WWL-1 work on pretty much any brand of housing. Assuming you have a 28mm (or FF equivalent) lens and suitable flat port.

yes, i do!  i have an isotta housing and flatport.  the only problem is that i used an aoi uwl 09 pro and it fell off while i was diving!  i want be better secure it to the port besides just screwing it on, you know?

The WWL will fit any flat port with a 67mm thread, however, the important "but" is does the manufacturer produce a port that fits the lens well.    The front element needs to be close to the port glass so it can get the whole field without vignetting.   You can zoom in to correct this but you lose angle of view.    I believe for example ikelite only has one flat port for their system and it's long enough to the 90mm macro, but would have an 80mm or more gap to the port glass.  You can use bayonet mounts as well but they also screw on using the 67mm thread.

The 28-60 is much shorter than the 90mm macro so needs a shorter port.  It's not on the isotta port chart but looking at other lenses you might have 30-40mm gap to the port glass.  You would have to try it to see if it vignetted or not I think - something that could be tested in a store. 

The Nauticam N100 45 port for the FE 28-60mm lens is new and designed to fit the lens. If Ikelite and Isotta intend to support the A7C and 28-60mm lens why would you assume they would rely on current ports rather than develop a new port like Nauticam did? 

5 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

The Nauticam N100 45 port for the FE 28-60mm lens is new and designed to fit the lens. If Ikelite and Isotta intend to support the A7C and 28-60mm lens why would you assume they would rely on current ports rather than develop a new port like Nauticam did? 

They might, I can only report the current situation.   They would likely list the 28-60 with a dome based upon the current support they provide, they currently only list the 28mm f2 with a dome as an example.   I'm not aware of any housing manufacturers listing support arrangements for Nauticam wet optics, so ability to use elsewhere seems a matter of luck if they have a port in an acceptable size range.

The main point for people wanting use WWL or other wet optics on non Nauticam housings is to do you homework.  An M67 threaded port is only part of the equation getting a port the right length is also needed and you really need to be able to check for vignetting before committing, unless someone else has done the homework for you or if support is listed for an lens with a length very close to the lens you want to use.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:39 PM, WesleyD said:

yes, i do!  i have an isotta housing and flatport.  the only problem is that i used an aoi uwl 09 pro and it fell off while i was diving!  i want be better secure it to the port besides just screwing it on, you know?

I am not sure you'll find a way to mount anything that is more secure than being screwed on to an M67 port...

I have my WWL-1 mounted using Nauticam bayonet fittings. But, the bayonet part that is attached to the housing is still just screwed onto it....

On 1/30/2021 at 6:28 PM, Phil Rudin said:

... I expect someone will step-up this year with a native fisheye but it is not a large concern for me. Canon and Sigma non zoom fisheyes can also be used with the adapters. 

A friend used Sigma 15mm FE (for canon) + Metobones adapter for Nauticam-a7III. setup.    This seems like a good set up for a compact system where FE is the priority.   Any more feedback on how this works?   (I'm not sure what port-dome option he used?

Cheers

/O 

7 hours ago, oskar said:

A friend used Sigma 15mm FE (for canon) + Metobones adapter for Nauticam-a7III. setup.    This seems like a good set up for a compact system where FE is the priority.   Any more feedback on how this works?   (I'm not sure what port-dome option he used?

Cheers

/O 

https://www.nauticam.com/pages/port-charts

https://www.portchart.net/zen-only/by-combination-group/nauticam-n120/

7 hours ago, oskar said:

Cheers

/O 

The Nauticam port chart is clear that with the N100 to N120 adapter the Sigma 15mm for Canon plus Metabones/Sigma lens adapter works with the Nauticam N120 140mm dome port. I see no reason that it would not also work with the 180mm and 230mm ports as well.

I have no experience with the Sigma 15mm fisheye but I have been using the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye with both Sigma and Metabones adapters for several years now. This lens requires the N120 20mm extension and works with ports from 100mm to 230mm. I have used ports 100, 140, 180, 200 and 230mm for Nauticam with excellent results. With the 8-15mm lens you need to have a removable shade or shade blades to prevent vignetting when using the lens at 8mm. I have also used the lens with Ikelite, Inon ports and others on a verity of Canon mirrorless and DSLR cameras. Auto focus is responsive and accurate on the Sony cameras I have used including the A7 II/III, A7r II/III/IV and A7C.  

Edited by Phil Rudin

Sponsors

Advertisements