Sign in to follow this  
narced

ultralite arm system

Hi there,

I am currently looking at getting an ultralite arm system but have a question...I really want a system where I can adjust the strobe underwater without having to undo clamps...I previously had a system with Locline arms and loved the ease of aiming the strobe....Am I right in believing that Ultralites do allow substantial movement of the strobe without having to undo the clamps everytime??

Cheers

The trick, in my own experience, is to find the right level of clamp tightness ... where the arms can be maneuvered but will stay in place. Usually, for me, this means loosening them just a bit -- but not too much -- under water. I usually keep them tightened down pretty good until I'm in the water. The water itself will reduce the friction of the clamps slightly, making them easier to adjust under water than on land. You'll just have to experiment to find the right adjustment for your own needs.

narced, I had the exact same fear as you before I purchased. Rest assured, once you get the system underwater, you will instantly see the benefit.

Like ReefRoamer, I usually have the clamps very tight when the camera is topside. Once underwater, you can just crack them off a little bit. It shouldn't take long to find the place where you will be able to adjust the arms whenever you want, but otherwise they stay in position.

I also use a system of three fastex clip sets on my long arms to fix them into a rigid triangle, which helps with handling the rig topside - esp. when others are doing the handling. One clip on the end of the second arm section on each arm mates with a matching clip on the base arm just above the handles. The third clip ties the two bent arms together at the top.

Frogfish

Ditto on most of this. Like Frogfosh I use Fastex to keep the arms together topside, during entry, and exit but I manage with only one clip not 3. I flip the outer arms in so the strobes are between the inner arms and have one fastex at the top of the triangle furthest from the camera. Does exactly the same thing Frogfish does but you only have one clip to manage in the water.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements