Ken Kurtis

SOCORRO 2021 TRIP REPORT, PIX, & VIDEO (LINKS)

SOCORRO 2021
TRIP REPORT, PIX, & VIDEO (LINKS)

We just returned from a wonderful adventure exploring the waters of the Revillagigedo Archipelago, better known generically as the Socorro Island. We had a "Manta-tastic" time. The trip report is the same as what was in the newsletter (just formatted differently). The pix are on my SmugMug page and the video resides on YouTube.

Enjoy!!! And let me know if you have questions or comments. (And note that we're returning on the same boat in March of 2022 in case this all inspires you.)

- Ken

REV_1910(LR6).jpg

Edited by Ken Kurtis
Type change
  • Like 1

Greatly enjoyed your writeup and stills/video.  And appreciated your comments about Covid as a good data point.

Any issues with getting camera gear through customs at Cabo San Lucas?

6 hours ago, davec13o2 said:

Any issues with getting camera gear through customs at Cabo San Lucas?

Thanks for the kind words. The answer to your question is "No, but . . ."

They were definitely on the hunt. They were asking everyone, before you push the red/green light button, what was in your bags. I replied "Scuba gear." They immediately asked if I had cameras. I said yes. they asked if I had big housings. I truthfully - but incompletely - said, "I have a GoPro." They said, "OK" and I pushed the button (which was green). End of story for me.

I had warned all of our folks about the issue and I did hear the next day (two of our people came in a day after the main group) that there was a guy who had camera gear and was either singled out or got a red light who was arguing with them about it. Now, apparently what they wanted to ding her for was $40. I could live with that. (In fact, I had two $50 bills stashed in my pocket just in case I need to provide some . . . encouragement . . . to pass through.)

So it's still wrong, but $40 is a far cry from the stories we were hearing of $1,000 a year or so ago. Don't know if that's still happening. All I can say is that this is what our experience was.

- Ken

Thank you so much for the great trip report. Now my question is- what was the food like on the boat? I am heading there shortly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Drwatson said:

Now my question is- what was the food like on the boat?

I'd say the range was good+ to excellent. No real complaints. And what a number of us became addicted to were the mugs of hot spiced apple cider offered post-dive and as a drink option at meals. Yummy!!!

• Like 1

I'd say the range was good+ to excellent. No real complaints. And what a number of us became addicted to were the mugs of hot spiced apple cider offered post-dive and as a drink option at meals. Yummy!!!

Thank you! I’ve had a whole range of experiences and I appreciate your answer so I can be ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements