Sign in to follow this  
tdphoto

Problem with Mini Flash MF-1

Hi,

I have a problem with my Mini Flash MF-1, from one day to the next the MF-1 no longer flashes and now i have a red LED quick flashing.
The manual only says: Flash recycle charging circuit error

What can I do? Has anyone had that too? 
Have already sent an email to Backscater and am still waiting for an answer.

Thanks for your help,

Tino

Edited by tdphoto

Backscatter MF-1 ?  So no ready light  and it's not charging  up - no whine from the oscillator (flash charging noise)?  Apart from double checking you have a good battery in the flash and maybe pulling the battery and re-inserting I don't think there's much that can be done.

I have tested two different batterys one of them a new one. Green ready light is OK, as soon i go to one of the levels 1-6, the blue LED comes first and after some seconds the red LED starts flashing. No charging Noise. 

14 hours ago, tdphoto said:

I have tested two different batterys one of them a new one. Green ready light is OK, as soon i go to one of the levels 1-6, the blue LED comes first and after some seconds the red LED starts flashing. No charging Noise. 

Solid blue indicates ready - that is flash is charged, if it's not charged it should flash blue.  Seems to indicate it is trying to charge and then flashes red when it doesn't happen - particularly as you report no charging noise.  Have you tried holding the silver button down to see if it will emit the modelling flash?

I very much doubt there is anything you can apart from send it in for repairs.  Backsactter may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps so I think you may need to wait for them to reply.

Call Backscatter; I had an issue with one of my strobes and they quickly swapped it out, no questions asked.  the green light means the strobe is on and in standby, the blue light means the strobe is charged up and ready to go; the red light could mean that your battery is low on power.  Have you tried using the recommended nightcore battery? 

Backscatter sending me a replacement. Great customer service!
The replacement work just fine!

Tino

I just hit this same issue with my Backscatter MF-1.  I've probably used it about 50-60 dives with no issues until now.  Now it show a "flash recycle charging circuit error" based on the status light signal.  I'll call them on Monday and send it in for service or replacement.  I love this strobe and snoot, so I hope they cover the service for free.

I can't find any warranty information on their website or the manual, but it's under one year old.  Purchased 3/31/2020.  I'll update with my experience.

Unfortunately, after two dives with the replacement flash, I have the same problem again. Let's see what the guys from Backscatter have to say about it.

I wonder if low water temperature (5 ° C) is a problem for the flash. On the other hand, I had the first flash in the water over 30 - 40 times before the problem occurred.

Backscatter quickly replaced my broken MF-1 strobe. I mailed it in on a Monday and had a working replacement back in my hands on Friday that week. I've taken it on three dives this week and it seems to be working properly.

Thank you to Backscatter for providing quick service 100% covered under warranty.

Opps, my Backscatter MF-1 strobe died again on a dive last week. I did a first dive where it worked normally. I think I forget to turn it off between dives. When I began the second dive it would no longer fire. I figured maybe the battery died? After getting it home and recharging / reloading the battery it no longer fires at all. The led indicator flashing in the pattern for Charging Error.

I'm mailing in back again today, fingers crossed on a repair and more than 4 months of operation...

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, davehicks said:

Opps, my Backscatter MF-1 strobe died again on a dive last week. I did a first dive where it worked normally. I think I forget to turn it off between dives. When I began the second dive it would no longer fire. I figured maybe the battery died? After getting it home and recharging / reloading the battery it no longer fires at all. The led indicator flashing in the pattern for Charging Error.

I'm mailing in back again today, fingers crossed on a repair and more than 4 months of operation...

Backscatter promptly replaced my 2nd dead MF-1 strobe. In their reply they indicated the my strobe had a covered defect, and replaced it with an MF-1 that has "Updated Circuitry. Given that I had two strobes fail with an indication of a charging error, they probably had a flaw in their design that resulted in lower reliability than expected. I'm glad to see that they have made improvements in response. 

I tested it last week, and dove it a couple of days ago. It's working as expected now, no issues.

I'll give Backscatter an A+ for service and responsiveness. My strobe was replaced and returned in about a week, shipping included. Bravo!

Edited by davehicks

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements