Leehank

Fantasea line a6500 - The FML Converter and Zen ST 100mm minidome feel loose

Hey,

I recently purchased the  FML – FNX Converter 55G  to fit the zen 100mm mini dome to the fantasea line fa6500 housing. (It's for the Tokina 10-17).
My issue is that the converter itself 'rocks' quite a bit after installation to the housing which makes me feel the waterproof integrity might be a touch iffy.

On top of that, the mini dome 'locks' into the converter by a small pin that clicks down after its twisted into place, but, there is still plenty of room for the dome to continue twisting after the pin. Feels like a lot of unnecessary movement happening, none of which I get with the flat port installed. I tested the integrity of the house using the vacuum pump and there was no pressure loss, after around 10 mins and actually after pumping the housing the movement seems highly reduced due to the pressure gradient, i guess. I'm just worried that a knock or something may result in a pressure failure. Due to covid I havent had the chance to put it underwater yet.

Anyone else using the converter/minidome and any similar issues?

I would suggest trying to move the dome around a bit under vacuum to see if it holds. Presumably you have confirmed the port has rotated to the right poistion and the lock has engaged? 

Otherwise try to contact Fantasea, they claim to have a support line.

Thanks Chris,
Yes, the converter and dome become much more rigid under vacuum compression and there was no vacuum integrity loss when i was trying to move them, but when they aren't vacuum sealed, there is plenty of  extra movement. 

When not pumped, the converter has a bit more movement and twist after the port lock engages.
The pin that comes down behind the dome mount is the lock, so I know that is fine too, I just find it unnerving that there is more room for the dome to keep twisting past where the lock drops behind. The V1 fa6500 doesn't come with a vacuum pump either, so the system integrity should not be relying on a vacuum to help compress the housing. Perhaps I'm being over cautious.

I sent an email to Fantasea too, so see what they say.
Cheers

Certainly worth asking, there's always the possibility your item is faulty.  The closure force from the vacuum is quite significant, if like many vacuum systems it is a 200 mbar vacuum  inside the housing, then the closure force on a 90 mm port opening is about 12kg.  On a 120mm dome opening more like 22 kg.  This obviously gets significantly higher as you go deeper, 200 mbar vacuum is equivalent to about 2m depth of water.

Sponsors

Advertisements