horvendile

Lens recommendations for Red Sea trip

3 hours ago, horvendile said:

Oh well. Not unexpected. But thanks! Then I won't have to think about that.

Sadly no. Utter bummer on the Sigma 15mm.

10 hours ago, TimG said:

I didn't realise the Sigma wouldn't auto focus with the Z-system FTZ adaptor. But then lack of AF is hardly a problem with the Sigma 15mm.  Set it just before infinity at , say, f11 and you're good to go!

that doesn't seem right - behind a dome it has to focus on the virtual image, which is 3 dome radii out at infinity.

Presumably it would be relatively easy for sigma to release a Z capable fisheye, they already make AF motor equipped lens for other camera models.

7 hours ago, TimG said:

Sadly no. Utter bummer on the Sigma 15mm.

Yeah, but on the other hand, I was aware of it when I bought the UW housing, and I got it for a good price. Buying for the D850 I also owned by then would have been less optimal in many other ways, for my particular circumstances. 

7 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

that doesn't seem right - behind a dome it has to focus on the virtual image, which is 3 dome radii out at infinity.

Presumably it would be relatively easy for sigma to release a Z capable fisheye, they already make AF motor equipped lens for other camera models.

About focusing - precisely. I guess I could pre-focus at slightly closer than 3 x dome radius and see what that gets me, and then just continue experimenting. I won't know until I have a chance to try, which is still maybe 5 months away.

Sigma definitely knows how to put AF motors in their lenses, yes. So they could do it for F-mount. So far they haven't made any lenses for Z specifically, but some noises in that direction have been made. I'm open to third party lenses so I'll happily look into all candidates!

Sigma makes
MFT
Emount
SA
Lmount
Nikon DX FX
Canon ef efs
They don’t support any of eos M nor nikon Z
You get more lenses for a Panasonic full frame than nikon or canon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

You get more lenses for a Panasonic full frame than nikon or canon

Well, both yes and no. Only looking at native lenses, yes. For me, being able to use - almost - all of my Nikon F glass on my Nikon Z cameras is a huge plus. And counting them, which is not unreasonable since there isn't really any penalty for using them, the choice for Z is a lot better.

Edited by horvendile

Well, both yes and no. Only looking at native lenses, yes. For me, being able to use - almost - all of my Nikon F glass on my Nikon Z cameras is a huge plus. And counting them, which is not unreasonable since there isn't really any penalty for using them, the choice for Z is a lot better.

Sigma sells an adapter for canon EF
Nikon adapters for third parties dont support AF
Nikon is very captive once you are in you stay in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

Nikon adapters for third parties dont support AF
Nikon is very captive once you are in you stay in

Again, depends what you mean. The FTZ adapter does support AF for third party lenses, such as Sigma and Tamron for F-mount. I did have some trouble with version 1 of the Tamron 15-30/2.8, but that's rather an exception.

It's true though that Nikon is secretive about its mount protocols and everything has to be reverse engineered. I think that's a bad decision by Nikon.

Sponsors

Advertisements