adamhanlon

Wetpixel Live: Downsizing UW Imaging Systems

The 12-45 changes length as it zooms so at wide settings it will be sitting back inside the dome extension, you would need to check it doesn't hit the dome of the 4"port which is very flat.  It also won't be optimised for dome placement as the centre of curvature is way back inside the extension. 

As for macro performance the 12-45 gets 0.23x natively at a working distance of about 140mm, you could get some improvement with a close up lens, but not sure you'd get 1:1

We've talked back and forth on getting something equivalent to the RX-100 focal range with some talk on alternative lens options, to me the real benefit in m43 over compacts is using the dedicated lenses, the 60mm macro for macro dives, the fisheye for CFWA reef dives etc.  The best option will probably depend most on what you like to shoot and where.  I like the 12-40 lens and use it around Sydney quite a bit, but not so much in crystal clear tropical reef diving.   What type of shooting do you do?

What type of shooting do you do?

I mainly shoot in tropical water and usually CFWA with limited macro with a bit of cropping. So far single strobe or ambient light with red filter.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, caolino said:

I mainly shoot in tropical water and usually CFWA with limited macro with a bit of cropping. So far single strobe or ambient light with red filter.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks, I would think that the 12-40 would probably not be the best for that situation - it's a nice mid size fish lens but really not wide enough for a lot of CFWA, though it does indeed focus close, almost on the dome - so it would work but probably be limiting.   For that sort of shot I tend to favor the little 8mm fisheye lenses, though they really are not a possibility for macro even at closest focus touching the dome.   The coverage  is something like 400mm - for a subject about 100mm away from the front element.  I use mine in the 100mm Zen dome which is very compact.

Do you use a wet lens for your CFWA work currently?

This again gets back to what I see as the plus of m43 over 1"sensor compacts - the ability to use things like 8mm fisheye or 60mm macro, but this gets down to using it either for a macro dive or a reef dive with CFWA.

To do both is possible but there are compromises.  You could certainly do it with WWL - but that is a big heavy piece of glass even if the float collar now helps out underwater.  Changing it out UW is possible but probably not practical.

If you wanted a dual solution of mostly CFWA and occasionally take a large nudi or closeup on clown fish or the like you could use the 30mm macro with the MWL-1 on on a flip holder, this gives a wide 150° field or you can get in close enough for half life size shots of smaller creatures quite easily.  The MWL is like a 100mm dome on an 80mm extension and weighs 1.2kg in air.   I've seen reviews on full frame where f16 is recommended, not seen anything on it for m43 and if the f16 requirement can be relaxed or not. 

Do you use a wet lens for your CFWA work currently?

I don’t. I was planning the big eye lens m67 mkii from fantasea: affordable and light.
I’m sure the inon uwl is better but It’s 1kg so more than the camera and the housing.

Sponsors

Advertisements