hedonist222

Olympus TG-6 fastest shutter with bright lights?

Hello

I have an olympus tg-6 with pt-059 and a sola 2500 flood

I primarily (90%) want macro footage.

Was wondering whether to add a 4,200/1,200 flood/spot as a supplemental light.

Supplemental in the sense, to add more light to the 2500 sola - so I can use lower ISO and faster shutter speeds.

My question is, can the tg-6 compensate with faster shutter speeds if I turned on the both 2,500 and 4,200 lights (total of 6,700) ?

I suppose if not, I could dim the 4,200 to 2,100 for example.

My aim is to use as bright lights as possible to yield lowest ISO and faster shutter speed - while obviously having it exposed correctly.

Technically I think I could because people use the tg-6 with strobes that are significantly brighter than 6,700 lumens. But I also know strobes also don't categorically output maximum brightness - they use TTL to meter.

Would love help from anyone with experience.

Macro subjects include as large as fish close-ups to commensal shrimp as small as half an inch.

Thank you.

_SIm_aZVSZmaozIMo1lJoA.jpg?k=1567705935000

For stills ? The camera will see it as natural light and adjust shutter speed (depending on setting), I have no experience with this particular camera. I see the tough has 1/4  up to 1/2000 fast shutter speed. I dont see the f-stop range in the specs.

But if the tough can expose on midday in bright sunlight, I am sure it will be able to correct. Are you running into limits with the one light ?

• Like 1

Stills and video.

I haven't used it yet but a deal on theres a deal on the xtar d36 5800.

Was thinking, more light is always better for faster shutter speeds and lower ISO.

And if indeed too much, can either dim the xtar or turn off the sola or some combination.

Plus the xtar has a spot mode that could come in handy.

The difference between light and strobes is huge, a 15,000 lumen light is about 6 stops less bright than a strobe.  So I don't think you'll have problems with too much light, but to get enough you need to be close. 

The TG-6 has two apertures f2/f4.9 and f2.8/f6.3 anything beyond f6.3 is using an ND filter.  If you are doing macro I guess you are zoomed all the way in so maybe using f6.3.  That's a little slow but not too bad.  A bright light in close should be OK, but adding more wouldn't hurt.

You don't say what settings you currently use, that might help us guide you a little better. so shutter speed, f stop and ISO.

Thanks, Chris.

I haven't used the system underwater yet.

But I am very well aware of ISO,aperture, and SS for metering and freezing movement.

So with the Olympus the first, I imagine it'll be more of an orientation rather than new learning.

I'm only wondering if two lights is overkill or would cause an overblown image.

I doubt it, the lights you are talking about are not that bright.  I mentioned the apertures available as it is not made clear in the manual that is what is happening.  The program modes will use the ND filters sometimes - so I would  suggest Av mode as a default and switch to microscope mode if needed.

You can test it on land as well - just do inside, the ambient light is reduced and it should give you an indication of what it will try to do UW.

thanks - did that

turned off the light in the bathroom and aimed the 2500 and another 1000 I have - shutter speeds of 200 and higher

great

thank you

Sponsors

Advertisements