I have an Olympus omd e mark II and am having a heckuva time getting the manual setting on  the strobe to work.( Sea and sea ys d2). I have to reset the factory default setting on the strobe to “B” which is a feat in itself. I either get strobes that do not change light intensity with the changing of the light meter setting on the strobe or the strobe does not fire on either strobe manual setting (the internal flash does fire) but does fire on ttl. I have consulted many folks and we all are perplexed. Help!

This should not be hard Camera should be set on manual strobe and say 1/16 power. Strobe should be set on the one lighting bolt setting (not the two lightning bolts, that is for pre-flash). If that is not working, check your strobe cables.

Bill

I'm giving you the time  - you"ll know why.  4:00 I know it shouldn't be hard and it just baffles me.  I have interchanged the fiber optic cables, made sure they are Sea and Sea brand.  It worked when I had the strobes set to TTL just fine.  The cable did not trigger the strobes on any manual setting.  On my camera I have fill in, red eye-fill in, 2nd curtain and manual with the 1/8 etc. settings.  I had always been told to use fill in as it was like "always flashed".  So I changed it to that manual setting 1/16 and, again, no luck.  BUT, and this is a big BUT;), I was following the strobe manual that said that I had to reset my strobes to match my camera - Mode B - (almost every other camera is factory default).   now 4:45 So, on the off chance, I changed it back to fill in, just set the strobes for manual (now changing it to that B mode) - two lightening bolts and lo and behold it works like it  should!  I don't have an explanation - I'm just thrilled that now, after two years, I can use the manual setting on my strobes!!!! Thanks for the reply and your input Bill.

Kerry

Moved to Strobes and lighting.

I have the EM-1 MkII my setting is 1/64 in manual and it's very reliable as long as I have the strobe on the right settings, but with INON strobes which are easier to trigger. 

So you say you are now using fill in?  which is TTL on the camera with the strobe at double lightning bolt manual?  That will certainly work, but is probably often setting off the on-board flash at near full power and using more battery power in the process.

Is it possible you thought you were in B mode before and now you have actually switched it on the strobe?  Might be worth trying manual at various powers  again?

I would suggest though that you save the settings in camera as they currently stand to a custom mode so you can recall just by turning the dial to that position, before you do anything else. 

If you try manual again, the camera flash should be in manual - try a few different powers and the strobe in single lightning bolt manual.

Thanks for your help Chris.  I notice in my strobe (YS-D2) instruction manual that the strobes for my camera, which are the M5 have to be set to a B mode.  After 5 minutes, or if I turn the strobe off, the B mode is erased. Annoying.  I really have to rhyme or reason as to why it's working now and seemingly not in the mode-set.  After I had tried Bill's suggestion (which didn't solve the problem:() then went back to just putting the strobes on manual with 2 lightning bolts and putting my camera flash setting to fill in - it worked.  Who knows??  It just seems as if it's very inconsistent.  So, if it happens that I can't get my camera and strobes to synch for manual settings, I shall do as you suggest.  BTW - I love your pic!

Thanks Chris

HI Kerry, that seems like odd behaviour.  I note t says this:  " When it entered the customize mode to stand for 5 minutes without doing anything it will flash mode set by the mode switch.

Which sounds like the behaviour you are reporting - reverting after 5 minutes.  Reading the manual I'm surprised if many people can get the mode switched to what they want - the turn of phrase is just a little confusing.

Two suggestions for now.  First up if you are shooting as you are now in two bolt manual set your flash exposure compensation to -3 stops, that will reduce onboard flash output by 3 stops which is about 1/16 power.  Save a little battery that way.  

Second do you get the buzzer sound and green light when you change to mode B?  The instructions say to power off the flash after you set it to B, so you would think it would stick.  If it doesn't either both strobes are faulty or something in the sequence is wrong. 

Also just to confirm when you say does not fire - that means no triggering at all ?  or just that the strobe does not show in the exposure.  As far as I know getting the mode set to B only fixes the second problem with the strobe firing and not syncing correctly with the camera.

Also just to confirm you have RC mode turned off - shooting menu 2 last item.  That's a custom mode for Olympus flashes must be off for this situation.

Thanks too on the photo - you talking about my avatar ?  it's giant cuttlefish off Sydney you can find a big version on my website.

Something is definitely wrong here. As you know, if the camera is in fill mode that is TTL. That should work with the strobes in TTL (it does on my version). If the camera flash is in manual then the strobe needs to be in one lighting bolt mode. As far as I understand (probably not very far) the B Mode on the strobe allows it to look at the pre-flashes from the EM-1 (I think there are 3) for use in TTL type situations. That is why the 2 lightning bolts work. On my camera and strobes, running the camera flash on manual and the strobes on 1 lightning bolt always works. Don't understand why it doesn't

Bill

22 minutes ago, bvanant said:

Something is definitely wrong here. As you know, if the camera is in fill mode that is TTL. That should work with the strobes in TTL (it does on my version). If the camera flash is in manual then the strobe needs to be in one lighting bolt mode. As far as I understand (probably not very far) the B Mode on the strobe allows it to look at the pre-flashes from the EM-1 (I think there are 3) for use in TTL type situations. That is why the 2 lightning bolts work. On my camera and strobes, running the camera flash on manual and the strobes on 1 lightning bolt always works. Don't understand why it doesn't

Bill

I was thinking the same thing that the mode should not impact upon manual triggering, because it only has to respond to a single strobe burst.  It sounds very much like the classic S&S must have perfect fibre optic connections thing.

Sponsors

Advertisements