Has anybody tried the new gopro 9? I have a Hero Silver 4 and would like to upgrade. I believe my front runners are the 7 and 9 I have heard issues with the battery issues and stuff with the 8.  Just curious 

My partner moved from a 4 to a 9 a few weeks ago.

She tells me that the GoPro9 now only has 2 buttons whereas the GoPro 4 had 3. The controls that were on the third button are now touchscreen which can't be activated underwater in the housing. Thus you can't review what you've shot underwater or delete and can't change camera settings.

That said, Stephanie reports the image quality is very good and much better than the 4.

She's had no battery issues.

Thanks for the feedback I mostly won’t be playing with any of the buttons screen underwater (will mount on my camera rig or take when conditions are too rough) thank you for commenting on the quality as well!

:good:   A pleasure

I have the 8 because I didn't want to pay that much, and 8's were a good price just after Christmas.

I have played with mine for a few dives now (and used clones for years before that). I use mine mostly on the scooter handle (Dive-X P1). Amazing what a stable video platform the scooter makes even when it's off. I lock the trigger and hold the shroud and just 'point and shoot'.

My current preferred mode of use has been to turn it on on the surface and leave it on the whole dive, then edit the final result.

In 47deg F waters, yesterday I got 72 min dive no problems, with 38% battery after I got home. That is with 1080p 60fps video on all the dive, with default 1min 'screen saver' active.

Two weeks ago I ran 2.7K 60fps with screen saver OFF (so the screen was on the entire dive) and the battery died at about the 65min mark. When it died, it was dead. I had to change batteries even to get it to fire up connected to USB on my PC.

I could (of course) always use the upper button to create clips while I dive instead of just leaving it on, but I kind of like being able to review the entire dive, or at least that's what I'm enjoying for the moment.

Thanks I’m also leaning towards the 8 or 7 just to save money and there’s not much out there on the 9. I know the stabilization is better but again I’m not a professional so I wouldn’t prob know the difference. Thanks for your input 

One thing I can report is that a 'real' GoPro (like my new Hero 8) is substantially better than the inexpensive clone 'action cameras' you can buy. I've been through about 4 different action cameras over the years, from a 1080p Muvi to the 'identical except in name' 4K action cameras you can buy for under $100 from amazon.

I notice it especially in the amount of pixelation at low light levels (i.e. 90% of diving in PNW). Even my buddies gopro 3 was better at low light than my 4K campark units. I did a side-by-side comparison on a dive back in January and the difference was astounding. (both set to same resolution and frame rate).

• Thanks 1

Thanks I don’t plan on buying a third party action camera just trying to see if I would benefit from an upgrade from the 4 which it seems I would. Given the GoPro bundle 9 it comes to only about $50 more than if I bundled the 8 etc since none of them come with the housing or spare battery charger. I also do not want to purchase from an unauthorized vendor. Thanks for your feedback 

You've probably seen this already, but my partner signed up to the online GoPro deal on their website. You became a member, there was a significant discount on the 9 plus no quibble replacements (2 I think) and a discount on some accessories. Cancel anytime.

Stephanie is a financial controller so she crawls all over financial deals and pronounced it good!

28 minutes ago, TimG said:

You've probably seen this already, but my partner signed up to the online GoPro deal on their website. You became a member, there was a significant discount on the 9 plus no quibble replacements (2 I think) and a discount on some accessories. Cancel anytime.

Stephanie is a financial controller so she crawls all over financial deals and pronounced it good!

yes I did! it cost only $50 more to get the 9 since I still had to buy the housing etc. Thanks for all of the info!

1 hour ago, lwang0622 said:

yes I did! it cost only $50 more to get the 9 since I still had to buy the housing etc. Thanks for all of the info!

:good:

Maybe take a read of the Gopro forums. Many complaints about the Gopro 9 not being ready for prime time. Lots of warnings to look closely at what you are getting into if you elect to get into a Gopro 9. 

I was keen on one as a second camera to record the dive type thing, but after reading the forums......er...not now.

What other action cams are there? Who makes them?

2 hours ago, John Doe II said:

Maybe take a read of the Gopro forums. Many complaints about the Gopro 9 not being ready for prime time. Lots of warnings to look closely at what you are getting into if you elect to get into a Gopro 9. 

I was keen on one as a second camera to record the dive type thing, but after reading the forums......er...not now.

I'm a happy user of Yi4k and Yi4K+. However, they're not produced anymore but you can still get some for cheap. DJI osmo is another option. I would also consider Insta360 one R modular system, especially with the 1 inch module.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:00 AM, John Doe II said:

Campark is the one I had most recently. However, I get the distinct impression all the various 'named' brands are all made at the same factory in China and sold via Amazon under a bunch of different 'brand' names so it looks like there's a variety. Often the specs can even 'ad copy' is identical for multiple units.

I paid $70 CDN for mine a few years ago. I still see them in the $70 CDN range. All 4K, all 'action cam'. Most if not all come with an underwater housing that lasts about 2 years, then the buttons or the back door seal starts leaking. If you get one with a 'kit of stuff' then it comes with a spare door as well, so you get an extra year out of it.

As a scooter cam in our murky water, I thought it was a pretty good deal until I compared footage side-by-side with my new GoPro 8. No comparison at all really. The '8' wins hands down in all categories - better white balance, better quality (much less pixelation at low light levels) and better lens. The housings are apples and oranges as well, even though I had to buy my gopro 8 housing separate. It's just a higher quality all around.

Of course, consider the housing for a gopro hero 8 cost the same as the Campark action cam plus case plus housing plus a bunch of mounting stuff and 2 batteries... ;-)

14 hours ago, sunnyboy010101 said:

Campark is the one I had most recently. However, I get the distinct impression all the various 'named' brands are all made at the same factory in China and sold via Amazon under a bunch of different 'brand' names so it looks like there's a variety. Often the specs can even 'ad copy' is identical for multiple units.

I paid $70 CDN for mine a few years ago. I still see them in the $70 CDN range. All 4K, all 'action cam'. Most if not all come with an underwater housing that lasts about 2 years, then the buttons or the back door seal starts leaking. If you get one with a 'kit of stuff' then it comes with a spare door as well, so you get an extra year out of it.

As a scooter cam in our murky water, I thought it was a pretty good deal until I compared footage side-by-side with my new GoPro 8. No comparison at all really. The '8' wins hands down in all categories - better white balance, better quality (much less pixelation at low light levels) and better lens. The housings are apples and oranges as well, even though I had to buy my gopro 8 housing separate. It's just a higher quality all around.

Of course, consider the housing for a gopro hero 8 cost the same as the Campark action cam plus case plus housing plus a bunch of mounting stuff and 2 batteries... ;-)

Campark uses an outdated smaller (1/3.2") IMX179 sensor. I have a camera with this sensor (Hawkeye firefly 8SE 90 degree) and it's not shabby but a bit noisy. It needs lots of light. More expensive action cameras with IMX377 sensor (Yi 4K, 4K+, SJCAM SJ9 and avove etc.) have much better video quality (GoPro HERO 6-8 also used a similar sensor IMX277).

Sponsors

Advertisements