tankie

Aoi uwl-09 dome coating

Hello, I had a nasty scratch on my uwl-09 and polished it out quite successfully following the techniques discussed in this forum.

Problem is, although the scratches are gone, I appear to have gone through the coating of the dome (polished area actually looks clearer and brighter). The description of the lens says it has a “scratch resistant hard coating” on the dome, and “anti-reflection coating” on the lens.

Question is, does the dome coating actually have any optical properties? Or purely for scratch resistance? Reason I’m asking is I’m thinking of taking it all off altogether if it doesn’t do anything to improve image quality.

Thanks! 

Well at this point you don't have a lot of options. Since you are threw the coating in one area to make the pictures uniform you will have to try (it's really hard) to remove all the coating from the dome or have it replaced.  I believe that Backscatter offers the replacement service for the Fantasea domes. 

16 hours ago, blibecap said:

Well at this point you don't have a lot of options. Since you are threw the coating in one area to make the pictures uniform you will have to try (it's really hard) to remove all the coating from the dome or have it replaced.  I believe that Backscatter offers the replacement service for the Fantasea domes. 

It doesn't seem to have any difference on photos topside. Would you know if the coating has any anti reflection properties, or just for durability?

On 2/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, tankie said:

Hello, I had a nasty scratch on my uwl-09 and polished it out quite successfully following the techniques discussed in this forum.

Problem is, although the scratches are gone, I appear to have gone through the coating of the dome (polished area actually looks clearer and brighter). The description of the lens says it has a “scratch resistant hard coating” on the dome, and “anti-reflection coating” on the lens.

Question is, does the dome coating actually have any optical properties? Or purely for scratch resistance? Reason I’m asking is I’m thinking of taking it all off altogether if it doesn’t do anything to improve image quality.

Thanks! 

If it is polycarbonate it cannot be polished if it is hard coated unless you remove the coat altogether

It is always a trade off hard coated scratch less but when they do they cannot be repaired. Uncoated scratch less and you are there repairing them a lot on the field but once you are used to is it is all good

6 hours ago, tankie said:

It doesn't seem to have any difference on photos topside. Would you know if the coating has any anti reflection properties, or just for durability?

I don't know the answer to that question

Sponsors

Advertisements