JayceeB

Sony A7C + 28-60 kit lens + WWL vs Olympus OM-D E-M1 II + 14-42 + WWL

Here are a few photos taken with the Sony.

Distant Ambient Light as-shot and cropped (28-60+WWL-1B):  Scalloped Hammerhead

Not a great shot, but it's only the second one i've seen, so i'll keep it, regardless of quality.  I was impressed that the camera could achieve auto-focus with the dark shark against a dark blue background.

hammer-as-shot.jpg.6ce499b8139c2cfac2882a1c8e329a44.jpghammer-cropped.jpg.99dc41e8d57d66ba44fb7d94e35b1879.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Distant Ambient Light as-shot and cropped (28-60+WWL-1B):  Tiger

tiger-as-shot.jpg

tiger-cropped.jpg

Edited by JayceeB

Posted (edited)

Distant Ambient Light  (28-60+WWL-1B):  General Shots

ambient-dolphin.jpg

dolphins-ambient-2.jpg

reef-ambient.jpg

Edited by JayceeB
  • Like 1

(28-60+WWL-1B) Over exposed as-shot and cropped:  Baby Frogfish

This frogfish was about 2-3 cm long.  I first tried shooting with the CMC-1, but couldn't get my lens in close enough to focus, as the fish was set back in an indentation.  Next, I tried shooting with just the 28-60 and no wet lenses, but the minimum working distance for the 28-60 at 60mm is quite large.  Next, I tried shooting with the 28-60+WWL-1B...this is what I shot with, and then cropped.  I was surprised that a shot this over-exposed could be adjusted to proper exposure.  Cropping still left an acceptable level of quality for me.

frogfish-as-shot.jpg

frogfish-cropped.jpg

• Like 1

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the images and your thoughts...:goodpost:

Regarding the title of your tread, how would you personally compare the two rigs?

Wolfgang

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the images and your thoughts...:goodpost:

Regarding the title of your tread, how would you personally compare the two rigs?

Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang.  Give me a bit to formulate my comparison thoughts.  

Posted (edited)

(28-60+CMC-1) Macro:  

Here are a couple of examples I took with the CMC-1.  I don't have experience with this type of lens, so there were quite a few throw-aways.  Included is a seastar shrimp as-shot and cropped, and a redspotted nudibranch.

cmc1-seastarshrimp-as-shot.jpg

cmc1-seastarshrimp-cropped.jpg

CMC1-redspottednudibranch.jpg

Edited by JayceeB
  • Like 2

(28-60+WWL-1B) With Strobes:  

And finally, a few shots taken with strobes using the WWL-1B.  The frogfish is an adult nearly the size of a dinner plate.

frogfish.jpg

moray.jpg

turtle.jpg

• Like 8

The Turtle shot is amazing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

Wow, lovely turtle shot.

2 minutes ago, hyp said:

The Turtle shot is amazing.

Thanks.  The turtle did all the work.  i just happened to be there :)

Circling back to the thread title…

My original plan was to move from the Olympus OM-D E-M1 II + 8mm, 7-14, 12-40 +multiple ports, to an Olympus OM-D E-M1 II + 14-42 + WWL-1B.  The WWL-1B replaced the 8mm and 7-14mm for my needs, but I felt it did not quite replace the 12-40 quality for distant ambient shots.  Just my personal observations with no science applied :). I then started considering the Sony A7C with 28-60mm kit lens.  My hope was that the improvements in image quality which the Sony combination with WWL-1B would bring, would give me the balance of quality and compact kit I was after.  I took a gamble and ordered the new kit.

The first few dives with the new setup did not go awesomely.  My 2nd and 4th dives resulted in the camera locking up half way through the dive, so I just carried it along for the rest of the dive with a black screen (I added the issue and fix earlier in this thread).  Once I got the camera running smoothly (no issues for 20 dives after figuring out the fix), each dive photo shoot progressively became more enjoyable as I became familiar with the controls.  For me, the dynamic range is much improved with both the ability to brighten shadows, and darken over exposed shots.  Cropping leaves more quality.  Auto-focus seems slightly faster, and possibly more accurate.  Less focus hunting when subjects in the distance do not contrast much with the background.  

The full zoom range of the 28-60 + WWL-1B has exceeded the quality and performance I was looking for.  I really like this lens.  

I need more time with the CMC-1 before I can say I’m smitten…understanding there is a learning curve.  For the shots I’ve taken (in focus), the sharpness of the shots exceeded what I was expecting.  The short working distance may not be a full replacement for a dedicated macro lens, but as I said, I need more time with the CMC-1.  

The WWL-1B stays on for most of my dives so far.  I have removed it underwater a few times, and swapped out the CMC-1, but it’s not an exercise I would do repetitively throughout a dive.  For me, I’ll carry the CMC-1 in case I find an awesome macro opportunity I don’t want to miss, otherwise it will be WWL-1B and crop.  If I go on a dedicated macro dive, I’d probably leave the WWL-1B at home and just take the CMC-1.

For me, the A7C+28-60mm+WWL-1B has been a great upgrade, delivering a high level of quality and performance in a compact kit.  

• Like 2

I finally took the CMC-1 out for a dedicated macro dive today.  It performed very well.  I missed out on one or two shots because I couldn't get the lens in close enough to focus with a strobe, but generally it worked very well with some practice.  I thought I might end needing a dedicated macro lens/port, but so far the CMC-1 seems to be working for my needs.

Here's a shot I took of a Wavy Bubble Snail with the 28-60 + CMC-1 today (cropped).

DSC01621.jpg

• Like 2

The Sony FE 28-60+WWL-1B works equally well on the high 50+MP  Sony A1 for CFWA and wide. The selfie demonstrates the 1/400th sec sync speed of the A1, great for reducing blown out highlights in the sky. 

untitled-01171-2.jpg

untitled-01241.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blenny84 said:

@JayceeB Nice pics! I was just wondering where the diving is? looks fantastic big and small!

Hi @Blenny84.  Thank you :)   All photos are from the Kona coast on the Island of Hawaii.  

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements