davec13o2

Backscatter Macro Wide 4300

Does anyone have comments on using this light?  I'm thinking it would be a good replacement for my

focus light, also doubling for the occasional video.

47 minutes ago, davec13o2 said:

Does anyone have comments on using this light?  I'm thinking it would be a good replacement for my

focus light, also doubling for the occasional video.

I note it is for pre-order, so no one will have used it yet quite likely.  I'm sure it would work as a focus light, but I like my focus lights relatively dim and like to turn them on and off as I choose, a lot of subjects leave when you point a bright light at them and I often find myself turning off the light before I approach many fish - I often leave the light on as an aid to staying in touch with biddies in low vis.    In any case needing to press the power button 5 times to turn on the light seems like a pain to me.  I do like the sand guard feature.

I would guess on the wide settings based upon battery life that the minimum output is 1000 lumens, the output of the red light is not mentioned. 

This is my focus light - it's also good enough for night diving.  http://www.inon.jp/products/le_light/lf1400s.html  It uses the same batteries ( and charger of course) as my strobe batteries.  The o-rings rarely need servicing as the rubber ring below the torch head keeps sand and even water away from the main o-rings.  They also have  2400 & 3100 lumen versions with straight forward on/off and a ring to control output in 10 steps.  It seems very well made and has been very reliable.  INON sell mounting rings that have a YS mount and can attach to your hotshoe. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, ChrisRoss said:

It uses the same batteries ( and charger of course) as my strobe batteries.  

This is the main reason why I haven't ordered the macro 4300 light. I would really like to try it out and maybe even get rid of my Kraken 5000 WSR Light (its so dang big and heavy).  The main reason I don't use the Kraken AND MF-1 is I don't want to have to manage different types of batteries on my adventures.  I would have gladly paid a little bit more for the MF-1 strobes if they were able to use the same larger 21700 batteries as the Macro 4300.  I also confirmed with Backscatter that the batteries are not interchangeable :-(.

On 3/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, ChrisRoss said:

In any case needing to press the power button 5 times to turn on the light seems like a pain to me.  I do like the sand guard feature.

For the MF-1 The 5x button press is not that bad at all.  its just a simple rapid press on the button, it doesn't have to be exactly 5 but like at least 5.  I press the power button repeatedly until I see the status light come on then I know I'm good to go.

Edited by Dann-Oh

4 hours ago, Dann-Oh said:

For the MF-1 The 5x button press is not that bad at all.  its just a simple rapid press on the button, it doesn't have to be exactly 5 but like at least 5.  I press the power button repeatedly until I see the status light come on then I know I'm good to go.

I know it's manageable but I'd just rather not have to and just use a switch or turn a knob in my case.  Turning it off is also a thing, having to hold the button before I try moving in on a skittish target.

@davec13o2 Have you made a decision about getting the Backscatter 4300?  Did you end up trying it out?  What are your thoughts on the light?

6 hours ago, Dann-Oh said:

@davec13o2 Have you made a decision about getting the Backscatter 4300?  Did you end up trying it out?  What are your thoughts on the light?

Well, I already have a high lumen video light that I paid $400 for, so I’m thinking of adapting the OS-1 snoot to it. In that case, I couldn’t justify the 4300 for wide angle video alone.

I’m more of a stills shooter. Video seems too difficult to get good results in composition and post-processing. And then I began wondering how a macro subject would react under a concentrated light source. I had visions of it frying.

In the end, I got the Backscatter flash and snoot, but couldn’t get it it trigger reliably, so sent the flash back and adapted the snoot to my Z330 in the interest of reducing cost and gear load.

Good to know. thanks for sharing.

On 4/14/2021 at 1:18 AM, davec13o2 said:

so sent the flash back and adapted the snoot to my Z330 in the interest of reducing cost and gear load.

Did you adapt the Backscatter optical snoot to a Z330?? Please post some pictures of your DIY!! How are the results?? 

21 minutes ago, Elipe said:

Did you adapt the Backscatter optical snoot to a Z330?? Please post some pictures of your DIY!! How are the results?? 

Ok, I just found your post about it on strobes and lights. Thank you anyway!!

Sponsors

Advertisements