adamhanlon

Wetpixel Live: Sony a7S III Preview

The Sony a7S III has been designed as a camera that maximizes low light opportunities. Wetpixel Editor @adamhanlonAdam Hanlon chats to @Natalie Gibb of Under the Jungle, who is using the camera and a Nauticam WACP-1 lens to capture amazing still and video imagery in the beautiful Mexican cenotes. Natalie has kindly agreed to provide comprehensive reviews of the system's performance in the future.

I like her choice for a desaturated color grading

Posted (edited)

I think it's interesting desaturated color palette. I thought it might actually be the out-of-camera output in a cave environment, but it could be desaturated in post. She doesn't mention in the video if she's filming in the standard picture profile or s-log, but given the noise and the 12800-20000 ISO range, I'd guess it's some flavor of s-log which probably isn't optimal in a low-light cave environment from a noise perspective. Especially in a cave where you're lighting the scene, I would expect dynamic range should not be a problem at all in any picture profile. But what do I know.. I've never shot in a real cave.

One thing I'd really like to know about the camera is how well it does with ambient light white balance in the 10-20m range where Sony has been traditionally terrible. I used to shoot on the A7RII and enjoyed the camera a lot top-side, but found the colour science horrible underwater. It's supposed to be much better now, but none of the samples I've seen so far really showcase that.

Edited by dreifish

I think it's desaturated in post. I've shot many times in caves and I never got that colour palette out of the camera. Usually they are bluish or greenish clips.  A couple of times I had to mix A6500 and GH5 with miserable results whatever color profile I tried (I didnt try S-log).

This is one of the few A7SIII video I found with some ambient light clips

I think she is using log simply because it gives the vibe of ISO 12800 or whatever it is and then no LUT is applied aka she is editing manually
Sony applies extensive noise reduction and sharpening to log footage in this camera so doesn’t look like the log of other manufacturers
When we measured low light performance and dr for raw this camera did worse than Panasonic s1h and s5 but with artificial illumination DR is not a consideration and frankly almost never is underwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

With all due respect, she either didn't go into much technical detail or the questions weren't very specific to video.
Editing 4K video is heavy. Good morning!
But it's not clear what codec she's using among the many options the machine has. I wouldn't be surprised if she was using H.265.
But I didn't understand what computer she uses and what software. I was puzzled when she said it takes overnight to stabilize the clips.

I hope @Natalie Gibb could shed some light :)

With all due respect, she either didn't go into much technical detail or the questions weren't very specific to video.
Editing 4K video is heavy. Good morning!
But it's not clear what codec she's using among the many options the machine has. I wouldn't be surprised if she was using H.265.
But I didn't understand what computer she uses and what software. I was puzzled when she said it takes overnight to stabilize the clips.
I hope [mention=100846]Natalie Gibb[/mention] could shed some light

I didn’t want to be negative on this video
She is a lovely lady and a good diver underwater video however is very technical and the set up of this video with lag and unclear audio was not great
Perhaps a recording would have been better?

In this age of endless online meetings, it is unfortunately very common. I guess in Mexico the connections are not the best.
Then so many people insist on using the computer microphone with lousy results.
@adamhanlon on the other hand is a professional with dedicated headset microphone. :)

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, Davide DB said:

In this age of endless online meetings, it is unfortunately very common. I guess in Mexico the connections are not the best.
Then so many people insist on using the computer microphone with lousy results.
@adamhanlon on the other hand is a professional with dedicated headset microphone. :)

I am not sure about the stabilisation issue. I generally do not stabilise my videos and the A7S has IBIS so am not clear what is going on.

Someone said the camera captures gyroscope information if it does that on a log base this would be fairly easy to stabilise?

Not sure if this lovely lady has the technical background to answer the kind of questions you or I might have

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Someone said the camera captures gyroscope information if it does that on a log base this would be fairly easy to stabilise?

Assuming so, which software is capable to use the gyro info?

Assuming so, which software is capable to use the gyro info?

To my knowledge this metadata can only read by catalyst the Sony provided application but may be wrong
Obviously it crops...

On 3/16/2021 at 10:40 PM, Davide DB said:

Behind the mask / you tube vlog style. Catchy...nice for a trailer to draw attention... not my favorite though. The other video is much better the game between light and shadow and the lights placement are excellent and for sure took time and effort to plan and execute. Kudos for that.

And definitely desaturated in post, caves don't look like that through a camera.

• Like 1

Interesting yet illusive, "vibe of ISO 12800"

If you can shoot XAVC S-I 4K your post system may have less computational work to play back the clip. It's true in my post system, I shot SLog Cine3 to a more compressed format and my post system had to work harder than I preferred to get things done or even play back a simple unadorned clip. Using XAVC S-I 4k my playback on an old loaded MacPro was acceptable for playback and editing. To use that format the cards are pricey. But I now have 2 for several 3 tank day trips in my future. 

I have found trying to use nat light is less than ideal for color work. But the a7s3 with a truly lowlight base line provides a lot of creative opportunities.

If you like here is my first edit on a a7s3 shot in November 2020 in the Lucayan Archipelago. Fancy name for region between Bahamas and Turks and Caicos.

YouTube Link:

https://youtu.be/RyJvsaV2MeU

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:16 AM, Whipauee said:

Interesting yet illusive, "vibe of ISO 12800"

If you can shoot XAVC S-I 4K your post system may have less computational work to play back the clip. It's true in my post system, I shot SLog Cine3 to a more compressed format and my post system had to work harder than I preferred to get things done or even play back a simple unadorned clip. Using XAVC S-I 4k my playback on an old loaded MacPro was acceptable for playback and editing. To use that format the cards are pricey. But I now have 2 for several 3 tank day trips in my future. 

I have found trying to use nat light is less than ideal for color work. But the a7s3 with a truly lowlight base line provides a lot of creative opportunities.

If you like here is my first edit on a a7s3 shot in November 2020 in the Lucayan Archipelago. Fancy name for region between Bahamas and Turks and Caicos.

YouTube Link:

https://youtu.be/RyJvsaV2MeU

Yours looks like traditional super contrasty Sony footage with a lot of clipping that I have learnt not to like

The footage of the lady with desaturated look works much better for my liking

Sponsors

Advertisements