Hi!

I'm finally buying an underwater housing for my Nikon D7000, after 6 years of underwater video with my Gopro.

Does anyone here has any experience with this Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG ? I'm really used to it for macro photography, but I don't know if it's good for underwater photography (for mediterranean nudis for example).

image.png.00937b35a1c0b754d3f6c1119f44182a.png

Thank you for your answers!

(sorry if I don't write everything perfectly, french people are really bad at speaking english)

Looking at the images of the lens extending, I would think that this lens is completely unsuitable for underwater work because it won't work behind a flat port. You need something with internal focus.

Working distance at maximum magnification will be quite low I'd estimate 35-40mm due to the long port needed.  Many people will use the Nikon 60mm macro or the 105mm macro.  The 60mm has a little more working distance maybe 50-55mm at 1:1 and the 105 significantly more and the 105 is more suited to closeup diopters if you wanted to use them .    The 60mm is used by a few people around Sydney for shooting both small subjects and medium large subjects on the same dive without having to back up too much.

Yeah, that extending front element - and such a long extension - would be a real problem. The Nikkor 60mm micro AF-S should be a better bet.

I have used it underwater, and it works fine. It would not be my first choice for most macro subjects due to the short working distance, but there are times in which that is an advantage (such as shooting in poor visibility). But as others have said, you might be better off with the Nikon 60mm.

54 minutes ago, Isaac Szabo said:

But as others have said, you might be better off with the Nikon 60mm.

If you can find one! They seem unobtainable at the moment.

Hi, thanks for all your answers. That's what I was thinking about the lenght of this lens.

For the moment I can't afford a Nikon 60mm, but I'm going to try my Sigma in a Hugyfot with a 40mm extension ring (Hugyfot recommands a 20mm but I can't change it for the moment). If some of you are interested I can post photos in the next few days, after some experiments...

Sponsors

Advertisements