davec13o2

Retra LSD on Z330 user comments

1 hour ago, adamhanlon said:

I have been using the Z330 with an LSD for some time and it works fine :)

That's really good to know - and good news. I thought the Inons were terrific strobes. It was a real pain that the Z240 pilot light was not great with the Retra LSD.

Good to straighten that confusion!

Now that it has been cleared that Z330 is fine for snooting, what is the better snoot? The Inon one or the Retra?

• Like 1

I have the Retra LSD, and have used it snooting using both a Retra Pro and a Z330. 

Bluntly, the Backscatter mini flash & snoot is a better combo than either of the above. It's *just* easier...

Shooting macro now, I usually carry 2 Z330's, and the Backscatter strobe set up with the snoot as well. When snooting I just turn off the Z330s. The level of frustration snooting has massively decreased using this set up...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oneyellowtang said:

I have the Retra LSD, and have used it snooting using both a Retra Pro and a Z330. 

Bluntly, the Backscatter mini flash & snoot is a better combo than either of the above. It's *just* easier...

Shooting macro now, I usually carry 2 Z330's, and the Backscatter strobe set up with the snoot as well. When snooting I just turn off the Z330s. The level of frustration snooting has massively decreased using this set up...

Just a question, regarding the backscatter miniflash, yellowtang: Does the LED aiming light switch automatically OFF, when the flash becomes active? If not, is the spot visible in the photo?

Wolfgang

@Architeuthis

Interesting question: in all the times I've used it I never really concerned myself with this (because the aiming light doesn't show up in the images...). Tomorrow I'll do a check - in a couple of the videos I've seen it looks like the aiming light turns off right as the strobe is firing [the image is not lit by anything the immediate moment following the strobe firing - then the aiming light will come back on).

• Like 1

I think the Backscatter MF focus light quenches when the flash is triggered.

Typically though, the light of any focus light is significantly  "overpowered" by the strobe's flash anyway, so it does not appear in the image.

Sponsors

Advertisements