MikkelNoe

Which flash trigger for: Canon 5DmkIV + Retra Pros

Posted (edited)

I only shoot manual, so TTL is not really important but I would DEFINITELY need the support for HSS :-D
It's going to be fit inside a Hugyfot housing (yes I know: Canon AND Hugy - I'm a rare breed! :P)

My understanding from what I've read is that both Turtle and UWT would support my needs. The main difference is setup of trigger (software vs switch type) and battery type (Rechargeable vs CRsomething). And both Balasz and Pavel seems like nice guys :)

My questions are:

• Does anyone have experience with the user experience underwater on the Canon? Is everything just controlled through camera menus (flash control and exposure (over and under 1/200s) or is there something that needs to be setup on the trigger for switching between HSS and 'normal' operation?
  • Are both triggers smart enough to just switch to HSS operation without user interference? (I would prefer to manually setup power output on the strobe in any case)
  • What would YOU recommend?

It's apparently only the Manual version of the Turtle trigger that supports HSS on Canon which actually makes it a bit cheaper than the UWT option. 

/Mikkel

Edited by MikkelNoe
added tags

3 hours ago, MikkelNoe said:

Are both triggers smart enough to just switch to HSS operation without user interference? (I would prefer to manually setup power output on the strobe in any case)

Can't speak for Canon or TRT, but on my Sony camera, using the UWT trigger enables me to select shutter speeds above 1/160s, and when I do so, the trigger automatically goes into HSS mode. I do have to manually select HSS on my strobes (U1 or U2 mode knob position, depending on what I set it to using the phone app) or I won't get a proper exposure.

• Like 1

For the first two questions, I think Pavel or Balasz may be best to help you, unless someone running a 5DIV and these triggers with Retras happens to chime in.  You could PM them if they don't chime in? 

10 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

For the first two questions, I think Pavel or Balasz may be best to help you, unless someone running a 5DIV and these triggers with Retras happens to chime in.  You could PM them if they don't chime in? 

I re-read the manual for the UWT and it seems like it is completely controlled through the camera (a decade ago I had the old Henrich Weinkamp that most definitely wasn't)... So I settled for UWT (as I got a little discount through the nice Hugy people! :-D)

Posted (edited)

Hi Mikkel. Yes, UW Technics TTL-Converter #11052-HSS (for Hugyfot and Nauticam) fully performs Canon camera menu for flash, including HSS operation.   Retra HSS functionality is included in firmware, it was developed in cooperation and with the support of Retra team.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

6 minutes ago, Pavel Kolpakov said:

Hi Mikkel. Yes, UW Technics TTL-Converter #11052-HSS (for Hugyfot and Nauticam) fully performs Canon camera menu for flash, including HSS operation.   Retra HSS functionality is included in firmware, it was developed in cooperation and with the support of Retra team.

Hi Pavel... That's very good to hear as I already ordered one through Sven van Langenhove from Hugy :-D

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements