Sign in to follow this  
adamhanlon

Call to Action: Maldives Sharks Under Threat

Call to Action: Maldives Sharks Under Threat

In a response to questions in Maldivian People's Majlis or parliament, the Minister of Fisheries, Zaha Waheed, has stated that the ministry was considering the lifting of the country's  current ban on shark fishing. The reasons stated for this are that this would allow the exploitation of sharks as an economic resource.

Of course, this entirely ignores the economic benefits that tourism provides. 

Individual Advocacy
If you would like to add your voice to calls to stop the lifting of a shark fishing ban in the Maldives, please email your concerns to the Ministry of Fisheries, Marine Resources and Agriculture using the following template. (Please do keep any correspondence civil and polite.)   

To: fisheriesmanagement@fishagri.gov.mv

Subject: Maintain the Maldives shark fishing ban     

For the attention of: Fisheries Minister Zaha Waheed.

I wish to voice my strong objection to the proposed lifting of the shark fishing ban in the Maldives.    

As an island nation, the Maldives should champion the conservation of its natural resources rather than  prioritizing  short-sighted and unsustainable  economic gain. Hence, I urge  you to re-consider your stance and maintain and continue to enforce the current ban on shark fishing  to protect the marine environment long term,  and to provide for  sustainable economic benefits now and for future generations.   

Considerable global research has proven that shark ecotourism provides a far greater potential income for nations and local communities than shark fishing, and maintains rather than denudes shark populations.  

I humbly urge you to reconsider your position.   

Regards,     

To see more possible ways of trying to support the future of sharks in the Maldives, please check out the Wetpixel front page post: https://wetpixel.com/articles/call-to-action-maldives-shark-populations-under-potential-threat

Have sent email, the mind boggles that shark fishing in the maldives is a good idea. But i guess china paid for the bridge and the development on Hulhumale and are calling in their debts...

3 hours ago, liamelement said:

But i guess china paid for the bridge and the development on Hulhumale and are calling in their debts...

Maldives receives shipment of 200,000 Chinese Sinopharm doses https://raajje.mv/97337

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements