dreifish

Canon R5 raw 8k video underwater

Does anyone have first hand experience with shooting raw 8k video on the R5 underwater? Setting aside the file sizes (can be partially addressed with 2TB Cfexpress-b cards) and the increased processing needs, are there any advantages over the compressed 8k 10-bit h.265 codec?

1. How is the ability to manipulate WB in post with the raw codec? Do you get better (or worse?) results than just setting WB in camera and baking it in? 

2. Any advantages in terms of dynamic range over the CLOG files?

3. How about resolution? It's probably not perceptible, but does the raw recording actually capture more detail than the compressed h.265?

Since I do both photography and video, I'm thinking of going with either the R5 or the Sony A1 to complement my current GH5. With Sony, you can do Prores Raw externally, but I believe there's still limitations on changing WB in post, so you haven't gained much. I'm wondering if the in-camera raw of the R5 is a significant advantage when it comes to underwater ambient light video.

Short of first hand experience, testimony from those who have reviewed it would also be helpful :)

No R5 here nor RAW camera but this video answers exactly your question.

It worths a look

2 hours ago, Davide DB said:

No R5 here nor RAW camera but this video answers exactly your question.

It worths a look

Hey Davide,

Gerald Undone's technical explanations are great. I have watched this particular video a while ago when it first came out. 

In this case though, it doesn't really answer my question. Let me rephrase it: when it comes to shooting underwater, is the R5's video raw codec a true raw codec that preserves your ability to fully adjust WB in post from, say, 2500K to 50000k just like you can in camera?

As Gerald mentions, when it comes to video, not all raw formats are alike, and not all preserve the same flexibility as a raw photo. So I'm actually asking if you don't set a proper white balance at the time of shooting with the R5 but record in Canon Raw, do you have the same latitude to adjust the white balance in post as you would've had had you simply set it correctly in camera? A true raw format would allow you to have that flexibility in post. Some compressed raw formats don't though -- e.g. the current implementation of Prores Raw on the Ninja 5 recorder for the Sony A7S3 doesn't give you this possibility to adjust the colour temperature in post in degrees Kelvin in Final Cut. For the Panasonic S5 and S1H, Prores raw does include kelvin controls in Final Cut I believe (Interceptor21 can jump in here to correct me), but the range of adjustment only goes up to 10000k, not beyond?

I would expect the raw format the R5 uses for video to be true raw with full flexibility over white balance, but would like someone with the camera who can confirm. Especially when it comes to underwater ambient light shots where the 'correct' kelvin WB temperature ends up at the extreme end of the scale.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I found some sample files here (shot on land) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1orh98TR0jyVYRVLGxAnZh7-1_9E3MNF-

And answered my own question, at least partially:

1. The .CRM files don't import/edit natively in Final Cut. But there's a plugin. Playback is bad in both Better Quality and Better Performance mode on my 2018 15" Macbook Pro with a pretty mediocre Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB.  And I don't see any way to change the white balance. 

2. They edit natively in DaVinci Resolve 17.1 though. Debayered at quarter resolution, they actually play back at ~25fps. Not terrible in terms of editing on a laptop.

3. Unfortunately at least in Resolve, while you can control the Kelvin WB in the Camera RAW tab, you can only push color temp to 15000K/150 tint. That's not nearly enough for proper WB with ambient light below 6-7 meters. 

Anyone want to try with Premiere to see if there's any additional flexibility?

Edited by dreifish

Ah ok,

I did not get you.

Regarding R5 RAW video format I did not find too much info except Canon that says shoot first, wb after :)

Maybe you could ask on EOSHD forum. There are several video users with R5. 

Personal-view is nearly dead.

Sponsors

Advertisements