thenoobinunderwaterphoto

Lenght of extensions (for macro)

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I just bought a Hugyfot housing (2nd hand) for my D7000, with a macro port and an 40mm extension. The previous owner had a Nikon 105mm macro, but the 40mm extension isn't the one recommended by Hugyfot on lens charts (they recommend 20mm). 

I'm looking for a Sigma 105mm macro, that is only 1cm longer than the Nikon, but Hugyfot recommends a 60mm extension for the Sigma.

Will this "wrong" size of extension be a problem ?

Thaaaaanks!

Edited by thenoobinunderwaterphoto

For macro lenses the closer to the port glas the better, until the point where the lens doesn't fit anymore. 

The Sigma macro extends significantly when focusing I believe which means it needs a longer port than the lens length in the specifications would suggest.  The reviews suggest that the AF is slow and not so reliable (on land) and this unlikely to improve underwater.   This probably explains why it is not a popular choice underwater and the Nikon lens is a better choice.   The extending behaviour is likely to influence how it works with add-on macro lenses as well.  The other issue is the method of switching to MF with a push/pull clutch which is not going to work in a housing.   

Having an extra 20mm length with the Nikon lens is unlikely to be a big problem, though wet macro lenses won't work as well.  It will eat into your working distance though- reducing working distance from around 145mm to around 125mm. 

Another option is to add an extension ring to your macro lens, you will loose infinit focus but you will win magnification without adding lenses. In fact this is a combination that I'm using since long time ago with very good results when I go for supermacro, and you can keep on adding macro wet lenses.

Sponsors

Advertisements