marcw

I bought a cheap Lens Flip Adapter Mount, is it any good?

Posted (edited)

Last year i bought a lens flip adapter, it was cheap, but made very well, but does not use the same format as the more expensive versions.  This works by bypass sliding, not flip.  I bought it for a trip last years but trips were cancel and never used it.  Just wanted to know if anyone has tied this cheap version?  This adapter works very smooth and is nicely made. no complaints above the water.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/67mm-Camera-Lens-Flip-Adapter-Mount-for-Underwater-Housing-Diving-Cover-Red/352564887073?hash=item5216813e21:g:4lAAAOSwXc9cNhFz

Edited by marcw

I have one with the same design and it works perfectly well. Just make sure you adjust it so the the lens sits at "9pm" when flipped back rather than "6pm". You don't want the lens dragging below the camera.

The one potential pitfall with this kind of adapter is that the wet lens must be held some distance away from the port glass. For both with and macro lenses, you want the wet lens rear element to be as close as possible to your actual camera lens front element. Some (not all) wet lenses have a rear element that protrudes past the threads, making it possible to use a flip or magnetic adapter and still get this rear element flush against the port - for example, here is a Nauticam CMC-1:

untitled-2_11.jpg.2e6472ca1e0b0c67500887b741a29af3.jpg

But with a swing adapter like yours, this protruding element gets in the way and you must use a spacer ring to mount the lens, adding space between the lenses and losing out on some of the magnification that the lens is capable of.

i am using inon 5 and 10 diopters, both do not have the extra protruding lens.  But i do understand the distance issue.  On land the combo works ok, but have not tried with water.  Last year the price of a true flip was too much for me.  I might look around for a better price.

Not sure why these cheap flip manufacturers can not to the same flip as the more expensive.  The craftsmanship's is decent enough, I would think there would have tried it and somehow failed.

Sponsors

Advertisements