Sign in to follow this  
ChrisRoss

Canon RF 100mm macro lens announced

It seems to be a fantastic lens. I'm curious about how that bokeh adjustment ring works out in practice. It's not cheap though...

So is this the game changer lens that nearly eliminates the one advantage that crop sensor cameras still had over full frame for underwater photography? Will it create a few new converts to the Canon mirrorless platform?

I'm excited and frightened. I've been eyeing the R5 for a few months now, but this announcement might actually get me to pull the trigger and cost me a lot of money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chidiver said:

So is this the game changer lens that nearly eliminates the one advantage that crop sensor cameras still had over full frame for underwater photography?

Why do you think it eliminates the crop sensor advantage? Isn't the only new feature that it changes the looks of the out of focus areas?

2 hours ago, hyp said:

Why do you think it eliminates the crop sensor advantage? Isn't the only new feature that it changes the looks of the out of focus areas?

The biggest new feature is 1.4x magnification with the lens alone which is getting close to the 1.6x crop which you get on a Canon APS-C camera - but you get a full frame image rather than a APS-C. 

If you look purely at pixels you can crop that frame down the same number of pixels as the APS-C camera and on that basis you would have effectively 1.6x if using the 90D as the reference point. (R5: 8192 x 5464, 90D: 6960 x 4640 -32MP)   It would 1.9x when compared to the same amount of pixels as a 24 MP 80D.    It's arguably a fair comparison as the R5 has bigger pixels than either the 80 or 90D. (4.3µ/3.7µ/3.2µ respectively). 

Ok, I get it. I wonder how this will work working distance wise though.

I am really excited by this lens. Great to see some real innovation coming to a macro lens. Even more reasons to love the R5.

2 hours ago, hyp said:

Ok, I get it. I wonder how this will work working distance wise though.

by the specs 92mm working distance at 1.4x

1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

by the specs 92mm working distance at 1.4x

Per the link above, it is 26cm, which is pretty close to the 30cm for the current 100mm lens at 1.0x. That is fantastic and should allow for some fun with diopters, as well. Heck, with 45MP, I'll also feel less guilty about cropping!

29 minutes ago, chidiver said:

Per the link above, it is 26cm, which is pretty close to the 30cm for the current 100mm lens at 1.0x. That is fantastic and should allow for some fun with diopters, as well. Heck, with 45MP, I'll also feel less guilty about cropping!

By convention the minimum focusing distances are quoted from the plane of the sensor, to get the working distance you need to subtract the length of the lens and the flange distance of the camera (distance from lens flange to sensor - 20mm for R series cameras.  260-148-20 gives 92mm and this assumes the lens does not change length when focusing.

Wow. Honestly sounds like an incredible lens. 

32 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

and this assumes the lens does not change length when focusing.

As I understand it, this lens does extend to focus, which limits its usefulness in a housing. 1.4x magnification is nice, but does that do anything that a wet diopter doesn't, aside from being more convenient? Unless I thoroughly misunderstand the physics involved, it's still going to be a shallower DoF than a crop sensor camera at the same framing.

2 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

As I understand it, this lens does extend to focus, which limits its usefulness in a housing. 1.4x magnification is nice, but does that do anything that a wet diopter doesn't, aside from being more convenient? Unless I thoroughly misunderstand the physics involved, it's still going to be a shallower DoF than a crop sensor camera at the same framing.

I hope not. Hands-on videos or specs I have seen have not mentioned or shown this, though with a flat port, it may not be too problematic.

8 minutes ago, chidiver said:

I hope not. Hands-on videos or specs I have seen have not mentioned or shown this, though with a flat port, it may not be too problematic.

Took a look at one of the hands-on videos again and there might be a bit of extension, but it looks to be pretty minimal. Nothing like a zoom lens. We'll see!

2 hours ago, chidiver said:

Took a look at one of the hands-on videos again and there might be a bit of extension, but it looks to be pretty minimal. Nothing like a zoom lens. We'll see!

In case the lens extends a little at the closest focus distance (= position of highest magnification, the position where one will add diopters to get even more magnification), it will not be problem. If it is the opposite situation, it may be a problem...

Wolfgang

It does not appear to change length when focusing, reviews are starting to appear but seem to be somewhat limited in scope so far - perhaps only including Canon approved topics?? , there's one here that reports working distance at 1x and 1.4x:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-RF-100mm-F2.8-L-Macro-IS-USM-Lens.aspx

Buried deep in the review it's 110mm at 1x and 85mm at 1.4x. 

A couple of you tube videos show people using it up close and the lens has not extended when focused at what looks like about 1x.

Canon is doing an excellent job of quickly expanding their full frame mirrorless camera and lens line. The RF 100mm is an excellent example of this progression. 

According to a product discription by Ken Rockwell the lens is internal focus so no extension beyond the advertised length of the lens. At the 1.4:1 (1.4X) setting the working distance (lens to subject) from the end of the lens is 92mm (3.62 inches). If the lens fits perfictly behind the port glass and given the thickness of the glass I would guess a working distance of around 76mm (3") from the port. This is about the same working distance you would have with many closeup lenses of similar magnification. 

The physics of sensor size won't change so the DOF will remain the same on full frame as it would with another macro lens at the same F/number all else being equal. This shallower DOF is one of the many reasons some photographers love FF and fast lenses. 

I would guess that image quality with this lens will exceed the addition of a closeup lens to a 1:1 macro given the same magnification.

I attached a photo taken on full frame at F/4 to demonstrate how the shallow DOF can separate subject from background.

Sony A7R III, Sony FE 90mm macro, E-Turtle flash trigger in TTL with two Inon Z330 flashes.

untitled-00290.jpg

5 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

A couple of you tube videos show people using it up close and the lens has not extended when focused at what looks like about 1x.

Glad to hear that the blurb that I read about it extending to focus was wrong.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements