Aquatic Images

Laowa 50mm F2.8 2:1 Macro for M4/3 - Anyone tried it underwater?

This is quite the fascinating lens on paper and I was just wondering if anyone have given it a try yet underwater? Currently I use GH5+Olympus 60mm f2.8, but I feel this would be a potential upgrade, especially with the 2:1 magnification

I have the 100mm ca dreamer in ef mount (on Panasonic S1H) and really like it. Not sure how the 50mm compares, but assuming you’d be working with a similarly pretty shallow dof but really sharp images when focus is nailed. You will need to get/make (3d print) custom gear for focus. I’ve adapted one for the for the canon 100mm I found online to make it work for the Laowa. Here’s a few dives from last weekend using the 100mm offshore in Southern California:

https://youtu.be/cYKjbnMGcIk

Edit: I used to shoot the Olympus 60mm on both the GH4 and GX85. The IQ is on par with that lens I would say. I never liked the AF of that lens (even when narrowed down to close subjects only), but it was nice to have the AF assigned to back button focus to get close and tweak with the knob. For macro, I don’t really find I miss the AF that much - at least for video as I’m always using back-button focus and MF mode anyway.

ScubaBob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements